CBT training

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care

CBT training

Postby Laura2017 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:34 pm

This is probably a silly/ obvious question but I wonder if anyone can help...

Is the only way to do a masters/ pgdip in cbt as an iapt trainee?

If not- do you still have to have a core profession?

And if you train independently of iapt, does this preclude you from working as a cbt therapist within the NHS?

Laura2017

Re: CBT training

Postby Ppepper25 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:25 pm

Laura2017 wrote:This is probably a silly/ obvious question but I wonder if anyone can help...

Is the only way to do a masters/ pgdip in cbt as an iapt trainee?

If not- do you still have to have a core profession?

And if you train independently of iapt, does this preclude you from working as a cbt therapist within the NHS?

Nope, there are self funded post graduate certificate courses, although you need to have access to clients for your practice. Universities such as Oxford (OCTC) and I think Reading offer such courses. You'll find them listed on the BABCP website under accredited courses. You will have to complete a KSA if you don't have a core profession.

If you're an accredited practitioner you can work in the NHS given you have the required experience of course, although an iapt service may have a preference for those who have done high intensity training, although not necessarily.
Ppepper25

Return to Improving Access to Psychological Therapies: IAPT