Clin psych doc

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here

Clin psych doc

Postby giorgos7 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:45 pm

Hello. I’m new to this forum and I need to describe you my situation so I can have some insight on what to do from now on. Beginning, my long-term goal is to get into a clinical psychology doctorate in the UK and won’t stop till I achieve this. Regarding my academic qualifications, I got my undergraduate degree in psychology from a Greek university (I’m Greek) with a mark equivalent to 2:1. Last year I got into an MSc conversion course in the University of Glasgow and graduated with a high 2:1. I also got my thesis published some months ago and I was the corresponding author but I’m not sure whether it’s an asset for my clinical training pursuit and to what extent. Unfortunately, my working experience is almost zero as I only worked for only 5 months as an intern psychologist into a clinical setting in Greece and that’s it. I know it will be pointless to even make an attempt to get into training without having an amount of experience in the UK. So what’s the most sensible next step for me? Is it unlikely to get an AP post based on my qualifications? Support worker is the safest and most realistic option for me right now? Also I’d like to know whether the fact that I’m not from the UK is going to affect my endeavor to a doctorate negatively.
giorgos7

Re: Clin psych doc

Postby maven » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:24 am

You need to get confirmation you have GBC from the BPS, then you can apply for AP posts and eventually for training. But in the meanwhile things like support work, care assistant, rehab work, research posts, work in schools, or charities, or placements for people with dementia, or physical or intellectual disabilities, or mental health needs would all be relevant.

Some EU candidates do get onto clinical training, but you would be expected to have a good working knowledge of the NHS and a commitment to staying and working in the UK after qualifying, as the NHS funds the training. Whether you can do the doctorate here might be affected by Brexit as there might not be unlimited rights to work and study here after that, and they are required by courses to consider offering you a place.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare
maven
Site Admin

Return to Clinical Doctorate Application Process