Advice about masters and my experience?

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts

Advice about masters and my experience?

Postby em1994 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:22 pm

Hi all,

I'm sure a lot of people have asked similar things on here but I haven't really been able to find anything that completely answers my question so I was hoping for some advice...
I am keen to know whether it is worth my while doing a masters degree to try to strengthen my application for the clinical doctorate.
My situation:
BSc psychology with first class honours from Aston University (graduated in 2016)
Worked as a Healthcare Support Worker on the nursing bank during my degree in a variety of settings across adult mental health including acute wards, PICU and rehabilitation wards.
Volunteered as an AP in a forensic setting 3 days a week for 7 months.
Worked as a Clinical Audit Assistant for the NHS 2 days a week for 8 months planning, conducting and analysing data collection and working on a CQUIN project to reduce length of stay in inpatient mental health wards (and I gained a external certificate in planning and conducting a clinical audit).
Currently working as an AP in and IAPT service (since April this year).

I am aware that I am not long out of my undergraduate degree and I'm sure I have no where near enough experience yet, but I'm really keen to know whether getting a masters will add much benefit to my application when I do apply.
If anyone has any thoughts or advice on the above I would be really grateful.

Thanks everyone :)
em1994

Re: Advice about masters and my experience?

Postby Geishawife » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:40 pm

Short answer, no! With a first, a Masters is really not necessary. As you yourself point out, you are very new to the world of work (as far as CP experience goes!) and I think you would be far better off concentrating on getting more clinical experience rather than doing a masters. Make the most of your AP job and focus on developing your abilities in that role. You have already demonstrated your strong academic abilities and I don't think a Master's is necessary. Good luck.
Geishawife
Team Member

Postby maven » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:41 am

Geishawife wrote:Short answer, no! With a first, a Masters is really not necessary. As you yourself point out, you are very new to the world of work (as far as CP experience goes!) and I think you would be far better off concentrating on getting more clinical experience rather than doing a masters. Make the most of your AP job and focus on developing your abilities in that role. You have already demonstrated your strong academic abilities and I don't think a Master's is necessary. Good luck.

Agreed.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare
maven
Site Admin

Postby tapircareerchange » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:13 am

Hi

I'm sorry I am not in a knowledgable position so can't offer advice. Your experience looks really impressive! Congratulations and good luck.

I am interested that you were able to get many these jobs before you got a degree. Does that mean someone not even currently studying a psychology BSc could get that sort of experience? When I look at adverts for this sort of job, they seem to require qualifications I don't have. (I am a career change 39 year old with various degrees but not in psychology!)

Best
CCT
tapircareerchange

Postby workingmama » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:30 am

tapircareerchange wrote:Hi

I'm sorry I am not in a knowledgable position so can't offer advice. Your experience looks really impressive! Congratulations and good luck.

I am interested that you were able to get many these jobs before you got a degree. Does that mean someone not even currently studying a psychology BSc could get that sort of experience? When I look at adverts for this sort of job, they seem to require qualifications I don't have. (I am a career change 39 year old with various degrees but not in psychology!)

Best
CCT

Not wanting to go too off topic, but in response to the above, I got all of my experience prior to the BSc, and got on to the doctorate immediately off the degree (got my degree results Jan 2012, interview Feb 2012, on same year), so it's certainly doable.
Fail, fail again, fail better.
workingmama
Team Member

Postby tapircareerchange » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:32 am

Thanks workingmama! I will take another look at the NHS adverts; I think I must be either looking at the wrong grades or misreading the adverts.

CCT
tapircareerchange

Return to Psychology degrees, conversions and postgrad qualifications