5 things I'm thinking today. . .

For anything not related to psychology

Re: 5 things I'm thinking today. . .

Postby lingua_franca » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:42 pm

I hear you on the catlessness, Arya. Unfortunately my tenancy doesn't allow any pets at all. I tried to negotiate on this point, and was told that I could have a fish if I wanted. What does anyone want with a fish?!

1.) My nana died and her funeral was ten days ago. I'm still struggling to absorb the fact of her death. She was my last living grandparent. She struggled with alcoholism and after her death we found diaries that showed just how lonely she was feeling. :( She was in very deep denial about her drinking, which made it hard to help, but I wish we could have done more to help her feel differently.
2.) I can't believe that I'm already a quarter of the way through my postdoc.
3.) I booked a back and shoulder massage today and ended up missing it through being a disorganised mess. I still had to pay, of course, and now I feel grumpy at being down £20 and still having a creaky sore back.
4.) My best friend is getting divorced. I'm upset because she's upset, but on one level I'm quite glad - I never really liked this guy and I always felt that he seemed a bit arrogant and overbearing. He turns out to be a lot arrogant and overbearing.
5.) I'm thinking of taking a course in a new language. German or Italian?
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.
lingua_franca

Postby Victoriomantic » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:51 pm

I am sorry to hear about your loss Lingua. Sounds like a tough one xxx

1. Going back to work tomorrow after almost 2 weeks off - part nervous, part excited
2. On holiday I spoke French for the first time in 9 years (since GCSE) and I was never good at it to start with! And it was to actual French people. I was quite proud of myself
3. Kind of want to learn French again now but I still have to start sign language
4. Holiday gave me my first proper break from depression for a while. I hope the momentum lasts
5. Glad I came back to decent weather in England after sunny 30-odd-degrees Corsica.

...clearly I have holiday on the brain
Victoriomantic

Postby sweetpea » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:21 pm

^ Did someone mention holiday?? I love hearing about everyone's summer adventures. :lol:

1. I donated 18" of hair today to a charity making wigs for kids with cancer. I feel so much lighter!
2. Feeling surprisingly self-conscious not being able to hide behind the old mop of hair.
3. Holiday next week!! "Here comes the sun..."
4. Definite surge of anxiety when I got timetable, buddy info etc. from uni. Some positive self-talk is needed.
5. Can't wait for coffee catch-ups with a friend tomorrow. One day at a time. :)
sweetpea

Postby Victoriomantic » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:46 pm

It was a great holiday! I've only been on holiday three times in my life. Hope you enjoy yours :D
Victoriomantic

Postby lingua_franca » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:47 am

1. I've just treated myself to a nice chunky textbook on Old Norse and I'm looking forward to getting stuck in. It's not exactly a language I'll use on my holidays, but I love the skaldic poets and the language itself is just beautiful.
2. I'm in Lyon for an intensive French course, in preparation for fieldwork in Francophone Africa. My French has atrophied. I don't know my score yet but I was horrified by how difficult I found the placement exam this morning. I should have been able to do it in my sleep. Before I can learn Old Norse I will have to shore up the languages I'm already supposed to know. :(
3. Being a vegan in France is not an easy matter. Anyone would think I had admitted to crushing the heads of newborn babies and drinking the blood from their shattered skulls. I just want to find something in your café that isn't drowning in cheese!
4. I should get to sleep. It's much later than I thought.
5. There is a mosquito in here and it's treating me as a late supper.
- A.A. Milne.
lingua_franca

Postby MindfulPsych » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:29 pm

1. Feeling frustrated and deflated :(
2. Trying to reflect on the experience and find some way of identifying improvements
3. Having dinner cooked by my partner is a lovely end to the day
4. How am I booking patients in for December already!?
5. Excited for winter hot chocolates... but not dark mornings! :lol:
MindfulPsych

Postby lingua_franca » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:02 am

1. I just filled in my second ever AP application. Mindful of everyone's horror stories about the adverts' tendency to disappear before you've submitted the application, I raced through it as fast as I could. My supporting statement is tailored to the job but the speed at which I was typing means it's a bit garbled and repetitive in places and I've missed out several things I really should have included. I hope they make allowances for that given the application window is often so narrow.
2. I am not getting my hopes up. Much.
3. - 5. Time for bed.
- A.A. Milne.
lingua_franca

Postby workingmama » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:42 am

I'm thinking .... how very very pleased I am with my snazzy new 8a post!!!! Could not be pleased-er if I tried. Utterly thrilled. :D
Fail, fail again, fail better.
workingmama
Team Member

Postby Victoriomantic » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:46 pm

Amazing, congratulations!
Victoriomantic

Postby lingua_franca » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:39 pm

1.) I have a friend with severe mental health difficulties whose behaviour and mood are really worrying me at the moment. :( This is exactly how she was before the last suicide attempt and hospitalisation. I'm also frustrated by her, as she seems to have zero insight just now. Funnily enough I can be patient with clients who are like that but in a friend it exasperates me and pushes my buttons.

2.) It isn't my business. I'm not responsible for treating her. I've done all that a friend reasonably can. I just wish I wasn't so scared that the next thing I'll hear is that she's dead.

3.) Those spring rolls were a bad idea. So greasy. Now I'm queasy.

4.) I'm staying in a strange city and unfortunately the neighbourhood I'm renting in isn't as quiet as it was advertised. Every night there are cheerfully rowdy people coming home from bars at about three a.m. I feel like stringy used up chewing gum and as if I haven't had a decent night's sleep since I was born.

5.) Hopefully it's just tiredness that's making me feel blue and cross. I will be glad to get home and be reunited with my own bed.
- A.A. Milne.
lingua_franca

Postby Randomswirls » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:14 pm

1 - I can't believe the first week of the Doctorate is completed!

2 - everyone seems utterly lovely

3 - it also seems utterly overwhelming

4 - I am sooooooo tired

5 - sleep will be sooo welcome
Randomswirls

Postby Victoriomantic » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:43 pm

That's awesome Random, well done! Hope your training goes well :D I've decided to apply for the first time this year so that's my five thoughts haha.
Victoriomantic

Postby sweetpea » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:16 pm

Ahh, well done, Random! It's my first day training tomorrow and my stomach is more snakes than butterflies! I hope you managed a restful weekend and are feeling a little less overwhelmed going into week 2.

And good luck, Victoriomantic!

1. Where did that month off go? :shock:
2. The holiday was absolutely amazing. A week of sunshine, pina coladas and chilling.
3. It reminded me that self-care, for me, needs to include reading and swimming.
4. Despite the nerves, I'm excited and relieved to finally get going.
5. It's like going back to school - new homework diary, pretty stationery, making packed lunches... :lol:
sweetpea

Postby Victoriomantic » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:38 pm

Good luck sweetpea! I'm glad you had a good holiday. And thank you x
Victoriomantic

Postby benbrand » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:30 pm

1. I'm so incredibly fraught with indecision. I've been living in the US for the past 4 years, and had the "conversation" with my girlfriend about what will happen when my visa expires. The holy grail has been CP training in the UK, but now a move back seems more and more harder.

2. Recruitment goals for the research study I coordinate are damn near impossible. My week so far has been a litter of cancellations and no-shows. Ugh.

3. I'm starting my MSc next week and am feeling anxious because I've heard NOTHING as to what my schedule will be like. Makes planning very difficult.

4. My sister is having an incredibly difficult time with her pregnancy and being so far away is difficult. Talking to her its evident she experienced a tremendous amount of trauma from her last birth. I'm struggling to find ways to help her- she won't see a therapist.

5. Not really into this whole adulating thing right now.
benbrand

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous: Off-topic