Hello: Introduce yourself here!

The guidance for posting on www.ClinPsy.org.uk and any comments on the forum, suggestions for improvements, etc. Also information about our e-magazine, Aspire, and how to contribute or download your copy.

Re: Hello: Introduce yourself here!

Postby randomgrapes » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:47 pm

Hello everyone!

I've been lurking on the forum for a few weeks now, this is my first post!

I graduated with a 2:1 in Counselling and Psychology in 2015, since then I've been working in a variety of posts! Mainly admin/customer service based, with a stint as a support worker for young people with learning disabilities. When I did my degree I wasn't sure if I could be a psychologist, so in the past 2 years since then it hasn't been my focus. Now that I've looked back into it I've discovered it's definitely what I want to do!

I'm currently 2 months in to a 12 month contract in an admin role, so as soon as I leave here I'll be looking for a "clinically relevant" role! Thankfully I do have that past experience as a support worker so I'm hoping I can find something similar. I'm anxious to get back to it so I check the job postings basically every day :lol: super annoying when I see jobs I wish I could apply for! I think I'm a few years away from being able to apply for the doctorate at the minute, plus my 2:1 is low and not from a great university (literally right at the bottom of the league tables) so I may end up having to do a masters!

A little about me as a person... I play 5 instruments (slight brag there, I'm sorry), and love to stay active by going to the gym or swimming. My favourite colour is either purple or blue at the minute! I love all animals, but I definitely have a soft spot for herding dogs like border collies or German shepherds. I also really love donkeys!!
randomgrapes

Postby angelx » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:20 pm

Hi,

I am new here and I have finally decided to write a post!

I graduated University this year and I gained a 2:I in Psychology. I am now applying for jobs (Assistant Psychology and Research Assistant) so that I can gain as much experience before I can apply for Clinical Psychology training in the future. However, I have had no luck in gaining any interviews yet :( and I am wondering if anyone has had any luck or any advice for me. I would appreciate it.

Thank you :D
angelx

Postby AryaStark » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:38 pm

angelx wrote:Hi,

I am new here and I have finally decided to write a post!

I graduated University this year and I gained a 2:I in Psychology. I am now applying for jobs (Assistant Psychology and Research Assistant) so that I can gain as much experience before I can apply for Clinical Psychology training in the future. However, I have had no luck in gaining any interviews yet :( and I am wondering if anyone has had any luck or any advice for me. I would appreciate it.

Thank you :D

Welcome Angel! I would suggest looking at support worker/healthcare assistant posts too if you're not already as these can be the first stepping stone on the way to getting AP/RA posts and eventually the course. Also, they are great experience in and of themselves as you do not need a AP/RA post in order to get a place! Good luck :D
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
-Max Ehrmann,"Desiderata"
AryaStark

Postby angelx » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:25 pm

Hi AryaStark,

I appreciate your reply and I shall take your advice on board. I have been looking into support worker/healthcare assistant posts too. So I hope I manage to obtain a job role there. Are you a Clinical Psychologist by any chance?

Thank you once again :D
angelx

Postby AryaStark » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:40 pm

Hi Angel,

No, I'm currently an AP, but came from being a support worker. Feel free to message me if I can be of any help!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
-Max Ehrmann,"Desiderata"
AryaStark

Postby angelx » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:53 pm

Oh cool, that's brilliant and I hope the AP job is going well for you.

Thank you :)
angelx

Postby JamieFerrie » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:00 pm

Hi guys!

My name is Jamie, I am 22 and I have just graduated from Glasgow Caledonian University (GCU) with a 1st class honours in Psychology. I am just about to start my MSc in Clinical Health Psychology at Strathclyde University (nervous :lol: ) with the hopes of pursuing a career in Clinical Psychology in the future!

I currently balance two part-time jobs: one as a customer assistant with Morrisons, and the other as a sessional seminar tutor with the GCU Psychology department. I also do some voluntary work with the NHS as a ward befriender and activities facilitator, and also as a voluntary research assistant with the GCU Psychology department.

I do wish to pursue Clinical but I also have strong interests in Health, Counselling, and Neuropsychology :)

In my leisure, I like to research about how to keep my mind and body active and healthy, take some self-defense classes and regularly gym; also sometimes have the odd alcoholic binge :lol:

Lovely to meet you all!
JamieFerrie

Postby camilla » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:00 am

Hi Guys,

My name is Camilla, I am 22 and I just got graduated from Aberystwyth University with a First class. I am working as an assistant for a clinical psychologist in his private clinic in London. Just starting now my application for clinical PHD , I know is so hard to get in so I was wondering how you are doing , what are you choices ? And what do you think about the questions in the applications :shock:

Camilla :D
camilla

Postby Atlant » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:10 pm

Hi everyone!

Been reading the forums for a while now, so thought that would be nice to drop a hello and a thank you to all the valuable contributions - it's really a gem :)
I'm from the EU and looking for a suitable position with a nice team. Got a MSc this year in clinical psychology and have some experience with assessments, but not confident yet with interventions. Had an AP interview few days ago and botched it with my anxiety :( Back to writing support information, I guess...
If anyone wants to share experiences as a non-UK coming here - would love to bug you with questions :)
Atlant

Postby Andreas10 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:26 pm

Hello fellow (aspiring) psychologists!

Like other people, I've been absorbing information from the forum for a while now but this is my first post.

I'm Andreas, 23. Graduated last year from Swansea with a first, and i'm now doing an MSc in clinical neuropsychiatry at King's College in London. As you may or may not be able to tell from this, i'm aiming to be a neuropsychologist! However I don't have much work experience at the moment except for a volunteer position as a support worker. I also applied for a position as an honorary (aka unpaid) assistant psychologist and just got invited for an interview so finger's crossed for that, i think it'll be a great experience (and a stepping stone, as AryaStark mentioned).

Other than psychology, i love swimming, video games, and my guitar. I also love (LOVE) pineapple pizza; don't judge me. :wink:

It's really nice to read all these posts, I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone :)
Andreas10

Postby sakhtar » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:15 pm

Hi I'm S :)

I thought I'd join the forum as I plan on applying for the doctorate course in the future.

I have also recently accepted an AP job and start in less than 2 weeks! I'm so excited - for the job, for finally being able to a 9-5 job (instead of 12 hour shifts), and for having my own place for the first time :)

Also, just read the thread about cringeworthy responses to interview questions - made me laugh out loud!

Looking forward to chatting to everyone on here :)
sakhtar

Postby goldflakepaint » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:57 am

Hi!

I've been lurking around here forever, probably before I did my psychology master's/conversion course which finished in September. Hoping for a 1st (official results out later this month) and planning on submitting dissertation as a journal article at some point although new job in an IAPT service has left little time for that at the moment! I'm a career change type, 32, have worked in a few mental health support roles before doing my master's. I also have a master's in Modern Literature (wrote my dissertation on Angela Carter) and almost began a PhD in English Lit but the ratified air of academia isn't quite for me. Psychology very much appeals in that the theory-real world links are so much more explicit than what I studied before. I have been aiming towards applying for clinical or counselling doctorate although have become a bit unsure of this in recent weeks.

I have a dog (half pug half beagle) and in my spare time, I like to eat (everything- but not cook), watch films, listen to music, take photographs and nap.
goldflakepaint

Postby Leems » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:03 am

Good morning all! You can call me Leems.

I'm a mental health nurse in his early thirties, looking at Counselling Psychology as my next career move. I've taken the road somewhat less travelled compared to many of the posters here, working in hospital wards, palliative care and in HIV, as well as studying Philosophy and disappearing off to mainland Europe for a couple of years in the middle to do meditation retreats.

I know this place is largely for Clinical Psychology, but it is incredibly friendly and informative (thanks all) and I see no similarly visible forum for Counselling Psych, so I'm very happy to be here, as you seem to welcome Counselling types.

I will be starting a thread about starting off in Counselling Psychology in the Careers subforum which I hope might be of use to others.

Best cake is cheesecake, doubleplusgood.
Leems

Previous

Return to This website and forum, plus Aspire