Issues with reference

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here

Issues with reference

Postby AJ555 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:58 pm

I am currently having an issue with regards to my clinical reference.

I have asked a senior in work to do it but now she's been told by HR that she's not allowed to do it because she doesn't "directly manage me". Although she has in the past. They are saying that I have to have it from the person above her because she might get into trouble...

However, I currently have a grievance against him as he is a bully and I don't feel comfortable that he would give me a fair reference. The bullying and discrimination has been so bad that I've had to take a couple of weeks out of work away from it.

The person I asked is two positions above me within the organisation (third sector) and is some level of management. I don't really know what to do right now..
There is a person above the person I have a grievance against but she is new to her post so wouldn't be able to provide an accurate reference.
AJ555

Issues with reference

Postby swetherhill » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:45 am

Have you been in touch with the clearing house to explain? See what they say. I had trouble with mine as my supervisor was sick and unable to get to the reference request, they've been brilliant with me. I'm sorry to hear you're in a tricky position, I'd give them a ring and see what you can do. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
swetherhill

Re: Issues with reference

Postby jason712 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:39 pm

I had a similar problem. I asked my ex manager months ago if she could be my reference which she agreed to, today I get an email that she isn't allowed to do it. I contacted the Clearing house and they were kind enough to give me an extension to find somebody else. My line manager has done it for me today, I hadn't asked her originally as I was still new in the role but she was really nice about it.

Best of luck!
jason712

Postby maven » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:46 am

If the person you want to do it is willing, use a personal email for them, and change this with the clearing house. Then it isn't any of your employer's business. There is no excuse for expecting you to have a reference from someone you have a grievance against, as that puts them in a difficult position and would only add to your grievance.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare
maven
Site Admin

Postby AJ555 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:00 pm

Thank you for your replies. :D

I haven't had chance to contact clearing house yet, but I will do this tomorrow morning.
AJ555

Postby jason712 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:19 pm

AJ555 wrote:Thank you for your replies. :D

I haven't had chance to contact clearing house yet, but I will do this tomorrow morning.

Did you manage to sort it out? What was the outcome?
jason712

Return to Clinical Doctorate Application Process