Where in the world can a UK ClinPsych work?

For anything not related to psychology

Where in the world can a UK ClinPsych work?

Postby Ratty » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:46 pm

Where in the world other than the UK are UK qualified Clinical Psychologists eligible to work?

Ok, I know there have been some unkind answers to queries like this before.
This question is more out of interest, and personal day-dreaming reasons particularly when it's cold, dark and wet outside :D

So I know that a UK Qualified Clin Psych can work in Australia and New Zealand.
I've seen on BPS Jobs that there have been vaccines in other British territories.
Although a Clin Psych could work in France privately it seems that France have a different system and psychiatrists do the Clin Psych work on the whole, or those who are not as qualified as a UK ClinPsych.

Any other knowledge is welcome :)
Ratty

Re: Where in the world can a UK ClinPsych work?

Postby maven » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:10 am

You can't just set up and work in Australia or New Zealand, you need to get the right permits to move there and take up work, and then you need to get local equivalence to allow you to practise. In Europe, pre-brexit, there is an agreement to consider qualifications reciprocal, so for most of the EU you could apply for such equivalence to practise, but each country has different systems to practise within, so you'd need to do your homework to find out what work is available, what it pays, and how the systems of accreditation work in that country. Post-Brexit there might not be free movement for UK citizens in Europe, or reciprocity of recognition, so I think we'll have to wait and see.

But it is reasonable to point out that if the UK NHS funds your training, it shouldn't fund a place for someone who is going to immediately take those skills abroad.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare
maven
Site Admin

Re: Where in the world can a UK ClinPsych work?

Postby firegal » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:43 pm

maven wrote:But it is reasonable to point out that if the UK NHS funds your training, it shouldn't fund a place for someone who is going to immediately take those skills abroad.

Genuinely out of curiosity: how many years do you (or anyone else) think one should work for the NHS before they could leave for private practice or practice abroad guilt free?
I suppose one could calculate it in specific figures relating the financial cost of training and value put back in, but I'm also curious about people's personal feelings about what debt they feel like they owe?

I have no grounds to base this on but my first gut reaction is that if I worked in the NHS for 5 years post training I don't think I'd feel any real guilt if I then decided to go elsewhere. (That's from a debt point of view, if we're just talking about loyalty to what the NHS stands for then I might think differently).
firegal

Return to Miscellaneous: Off-topic