What works well in IAPT?

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care

What works well in IAPT?

Postby BlueCat » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:20 pm

I'm shortly going to be starting a post in primary care in Wales, with a specific remit to focus on children and families. We don't have IAPT in Wales at all. I'd be really interested to hear your perspective on what works well in IAPT, including adult services, but particularly if you have any perspectives on this type of Tier 1/2 provision for children, young people and families.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.
BlueCat
Site Admin

Re: What works well in IAPT?

Postby BlueCat » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:43 pm

Is there nothing that people think works well?
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.
BlueCat
Site Admin

Postby MindfulPsych » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:33 pm

BlueCat wrote:I'm shortly going to be starting a post in primary care in Wales, with a specific remit to focus on children and families. We don't have IAPT in Wales at all. I'd be really interested to hear your perspective on what works well in IAPT, including adult services, but particularly if you have any perspectives on this type of Tier 1/2 provision for children, young people and families.

I don't work specifically with children or families but I do sometimes work with young people (16+).

I think what works really well is the knowledge of the service such knowing where to signpost people if maybe we aren't the most appropriate service or if they wish to access a support group while on the waiting list for therapy for example.
I would also say that the communication between us and other secondary care services is particularly good which helps to build a good working relationships.

I think the dynamics of IAPT is really good and it does allow us to see patients in a good timeframe.

It's difficult say what work well within IAPT as I guess it depends on the service but it's great to see that you're starting a post in primary care in Wales and I hope it goes well. :D
MindfulPsych

Postby miriam » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:40 pm

I think being able to access good quality advice for primary care professionals is pretty critical - a phone line for teachers, GPs, school nurses, social workers and that kind of thing would be amazing. We've had limited hours for such a service at times in places I've worked, and it really does help things from cascading down the system (and improve the quality of referrals and get to see things earlier where there is genuine need).
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com
miriam
Site Admin

Postby jason712 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:02 pm

I think IAPT provides a clear access to the care pathway. The way it is set up allows clients to be given the most suitable treatment which is continuously monitored. While there is still a long waiting time, it is much improved from pre-2008. The telephone service allows for better accessibility to those who otherwise would have difficulty.

IAPT isn't perfect but it certainly helps I believe. While not as prominent, there is a CYP IAPT service, although, I am not sure how they operate.
jason712

Return to Improving Access to Psychological Therapies: IAPT