Assistant Psychologist jobs

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories

Assistant Psychologist jobs

Postby Quatro07 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:35 pm

Hello everyone, I just recently joined this forum. Guys I need some help regarding my career path here in UK. I have done MS in clinical psychology from Pakistan and I have completed my degree in 2016. Now I am looking forward to find an assistant psychologist job here in West Midlands. The thing is I have no experience of working in this country however in Pakistan i was a lecturer of mental health and psychopathology and clinical psychology. Plus there I have almost two years of working experience in clinical field. I have topped in bachelors and masters and I literally crammed BPS guidelines and HCPCs standards of proficiency. Also what are the odds for part time assistant psychologist jobs? I have heard nhs is very flexible for new mums. What you guys suggest? I am also interested in psychology lecturer job as teaching is what I love. But right now I am in the approach approach conflict kind of situation. Really appreciate all suggestion.
Quatro07

Re: Assistant Psychologist jobs

Postby carmelo » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:05 pm

hey, welcome to the forum !

you might want to start your job search here:
http://jobs.ac.uk/jobs/psychology
carmelo

Postby maven » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:20 am

This isn't a question about psychology degrees, conversion and postgrad qualifications, so I have moved it to the relevant section. Also, you posted the same thing twice, so I have deleted the duplicate.

1) Do you have the right to live and work in the UK? Do you have GBC? If either of these is a no, then that is where to start, otherwise no AP jobs will be available here, let alone in the NHS. So make sure you have the groundwork in place by getting proof of GBC and the right work status sorted out.

2) I don't mean to be discouraging, but do you know British systems and services? If not, you might have to get a first step post to learn about these, rather than being able to get the most competitive post in the career path right away - most AP posts in the NHS have hundreds of applicants, and all will bring a qualification and experience (as well as right to live and work and GBC). I know I'd need a year or so to acclimatise and learn about local culture and systems if I moved to another country, as well as getting any language up to the standards required to work (as I'm not bilingual), and there is no chance I could just move abroad and do my job there right away (except if the systems are similar and the language the same, so I might cope in Canada or Australia/NZ) which definitely isn't the case with the UK and Pakistan.

3) Sadly posts are advertised as full time or part-time, with many more being the former than the latter and are unlikely to change this to the preference of the candidate. You might be able to get some part time teaching or tutoring, or some shifts of care work, rather than a full time position. Look out for adverts that specify part-time or job-share options. It will just narrow your options further.

Good luck with it!
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare
maven
Site Admin

Postby Khadija » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:15 am

Whilst I think that you make some valuable points Maven, your post feels quite negative through and through, which is a shame to read. I am all for offering truthful and real advice, but I think that there is a way in which that information can be shared more sensitively.

maven wrote: as well as getting any language up to the standards required to work (as I'm not bilingual), and there is no chance I could just move abroad and do my job there right away (except if the systems are similar and the language the same, so I might cope in Canada or Australia/NZ) which definitely isn't the case with the UK and Pakistan.

Whilst there are indeed stark cultural and systemic contrasts between Pakistan and the UK, I know people from Pakistan who speak better English than many of us UK-born people for whom English is our mother tongue. Language will of course act as a barrier for many people from various parts of the world, but “definitely” is a touch strong.

Quatro, I worked in 3 part-time assistant psychologists posts, so it is possible, but they are few and far between. Also, 1 of the posts I managed to negotiate down a further day. There is no harm asking. As you have an interest in teaching, this might be a quicker bet for part-time work. Good luck!
Khadija

Postby maven » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:32 pm

You don't seem to have responded to what I actually wrote, but instead to something you imagined I wrote.

I said the language would be a barrier for me, if the situation were reversed as I am not bilingual. I said that it would definitely be the case that I could not work in Pakistan until I had learned the language and culture as these are different to the UK. I know plenty of people from south Asia who speak brilliant English and form a fantastic part of mental health services here. But even with fluent English (or even where it is a first language, and a person is moving to or from USA/Australia/South Africa/NZ) there are cultural differences that can take time to adjust to. For example, my experience has been that applicants from India and Pakistan often see psychology as subordinate to a medical model, and mainly about psychometrics, therapy and teaching, rather than formulation and planning treatment, leadership and organisational work. But at a simpler level, it can be hard to understand local accents or sayings, or to know the funding models for health services in another country.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare
maven
Site Admin

Postby Khadija » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:56 pm

Now that you have clarified, that more clearly explains your points, but I did not disagree that there are significant cultural differences. My points were not solely around the meaning behind your post, but also the way in which it was put across. I do not think that my post was attacking of you, so I am unsure why your latest post has an air of condescendence. For instance, saying that I imagined what you wrote does not feel helpful. I guess we all have our own communicative approaches.
Khadija

Postby maven » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:33 am

I'd suggest that you might also want to do some of that reflecting you are advising, as your posts come across as unusually antagonistic. It is certainly an interesting approach to take on your 7th/8th post on a forum, to tell off and insult one of the admins who run the place and advise me how I should be responding to members (particularly given I'm a consultant grade CP who has advised hundreds of people on the path to CP training in the UK over two decades, and I'm assuming from your posting history that you are applying for training).

I hope that Quatro found the initial replies helpful and hasn't been put off by the turn in the conversation.

Having trained a lot of new immigrants to the UK entering health and social care positions, I was posting from the perspective that migrating country is a huge and brave step. It is something that takes a lot of effort to set up, and a lot of time to embed - and I'm aware that the conservative government is placing every more bureaucratic barriers in the way, on top of the existing logistical ones. It also isn't a time at which the UK is at its most hospitable to immigrants, which is a great shame as our health and social care services rely on a very diverse workforce, and I believe that migrants add much more to Britain than they take from it - financially, culturally and in terms of filling essential employment roles. So it is really important to be aware of the practical issues, and realistic about what types of employment will be possible to obtain.
Maven.

maven
Site Admin

Postby Khadija » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:51 am

I apologise if you found my posts antagonistic, attacking and as though I was telling you off, that was not my intention. I am indeed pre-training, but highlighting this hierarchy reinforces my sense of discomfort. This is not meant to be a critique or to create hostility. I guess this is an example of where written words alone are not sufficient in reflecting intent/tone/emotion etc.

This website is incredibly helpful and I, amongst many others I am sure, am hugely grateful to you and all of the admin. I do not want to take away from the website or add negativity to this space, in fact, my intention was quite the opposite. Again, I apologise if this was not how it was put across.
Khadija

Postby maven » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:47 pm

Fair enough. We seem to have both read into each other's posts things that were not intended by the author. It seems to be another good example about how the message received differs from that transmitted. I suspect Campion (our resident communication studies expert) would be pointing this out, if he wasn't off having a life of his own these days.
Maven.

maven
Site Admin

Return to Careers advice