Difficult relationships in a small world

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.

Difficult relationships in a small world

Postby firegal » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:28 pm

So, a lot of us have dealt with difficult working relationships, bad supervisors etc, and often the advice is if trying to build on the relationship and work through the issues doesn't work, then maybe it's time to start looking for another post.
But psychology is a pretty small world, and what happens when you have to come face to face with those people again? Does anyone have experience of these kinds of things? Meeting a dreaded supervisor later in another context? How do you deal with it?
firegal

Re: Difficult relationships in a small world

Postby maven » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:26 pm

Smile politely, make small talk if necessary and then move on?
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare
maven
Site Admin

Postby mungle » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:13 am

Also, when you meet again the power relationship tends to have changed and it is easier to smile and move on.
mungle

Postby lakeland » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:21 pm

I’ve met a fair few people who aren’t my favourites over the years. I can give you the fake psychologist answe about reflecting on what the issues were, trying to have empathy for them and rising above it.

But really, if I see them I am fake nice because although I am petty and hold grudges, I enjoy being able to be smug about being the bigger person. I then take to WhatsApp and rant about them to friends. :D
lakeland

Return to Professional/Employment Issues