Private CBT training - what do I need to know?

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
sofia

Private CBT training - what do I need to know?

Post by sofia » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:12 am

Hi,

I'm a PWP looking to complete CBT training privately.
I'm looking for some information regarding the placements. Are they paid/unpaid? Can I change services half-way through the training?
Any information basically will be helpful :)

hawke

Re: Private CBT training - what do I need to know?

Post by hawke » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:01 pm

sofia wrote:Hi,

I'm a PWP looking to complete CBT training privately.
I'm looking for some information regarding the placements. Are they paid/unpaid? Can I change services half-way through the training?
Any information basically will be helpful :)
Hi, fellow PWP here! I've worked with a few people who trained or were training privately.

We had some trainees run a step 3 evening clinic once a week for us. I think we had 3 positions that were all unpaid, and we basically had the entire cohort of a semi-local course apply, so it was quite competitive even for those. I also knew another trainee who was doing a placement with a local council organisation, and she said that all of her placements were unpaid voluntary positions. Another trainee worked as a paid bank PWP, but those hours didn't count towards her CBT training.

At least 2 people who trained privately ended up taking HI training positions in my IAPT service, as they couldn't get qualified HI posts. They had been able to work in private organisations doing CBT, but not the NHS for some reason. So worth checking that your course would enable you to work in an NHS IAPT service, if that's part of your plan afterwards.

sofia

Post by sofia » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:03 pm

Hi hawke,

Thank you for your response, that's helpful!
I was thinking the roles are unpaid, I have heard it from others and it doesn't sound like paid placements are available for privately funded courses.
I didn't know getting an NHS role could be a problem, definitely something to look into!
I'll share if I find out more information!

Sofia

Ppepper25

Post by Ppepper25 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:12 pm

I completed my PGDip privately, in Oxford. I was working in a talking therapies service as a PWP at the time, and was allowed to see high intensity clients as a trainee, so was paid still as part of my current role.

I know some people on my cohort were lucky enough to have a similar arrangement, although others were doing unpaid placements. Bare in mind how you may find doing an evening of work a week, on top of potentially full time work and studying. I know it became particularly frustrating for my peers if their clients had cancelled and they hadn't been told (so would have made the trip in to clinic unnecessarily). Also some services didn't offer supervision for these clients, so they were doing unpaid placements plus having to find a supervisor.

I would really try and find a supportive workplace! You can change services halfway through, theoretically, although you will need to be providing written case reports of full treatment with your clients, and transitions like this may interrupt treatment (not to mention be an added stresser on top of an already demanding course!).

As long as the course is BABCP accredited, I don't suspect you will have any difficulty getting a job in IAPT. Most job applications I see are just for an accredited course. Plus with your PWP experience you will be able to sell your skill of scaling down interventions!!

sofia

Post by sofia » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:03 am

Ppepper25 wrote:I completed my PGDip privately, in Oxford. I was working in a talking therapies service as a PWP at the time, and was allowed to see high intensity clients as a trainee, so was paid still as part of my current role.

I know some people on my cohort were lucky enough to have a similar arrangement, although others were doing unpaid placements. Bare in mind how you may find doing an evening of work a week, on top of potentially full time work and studying. I know it became particularly frustrating for my peers if their clients had cancelled and they hadn't been told (so would have made the trip in to clinic unnecessarily). Also some services didn't offer supervision for these clients, so they were doing unpaid placements plus having to find a supervisor.

I would really try and find a supportive workplace! You can change services halfway through, theoretically, although you will need to be providing written case reports of full treatment with your clients, and transitions like this may interrupt treatment (not to mention be an added stresser on top of an already demanding course!).

As long as the course is BABCP accredited, I don't suspect you will have any difficulty getting a job in IAPT. Most job applications I see are just for an accredited course. Plus with your PWP experience you will be able to sell your skill of scaling down interventions!!
That's very helpful, thank you :) Supportive service - that's crucial isn't it? Very difficult to find as well!