Course Interviews - what to wear?

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course

Postby jane doe » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:53 pm

I wear a smart grey dress with a white shirt underneath - I hate suits :roll:
jane doe

Postby miriam » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:43 pm

So long as you look clean, tidy and like you've made an effort, I'd go for something you feel good in. It does no harm to deviate from the clones in grey/black/navy suits. I used to wear a soft chocolate brown trouser suit, with a mandarin collar on the jacket and a patterned top. But I also used to sometimes wear a long dusky pink skirt with white pattern and a cream blouse, and a scarf that was dusky pink. But that was a long time ago, and fashion changes even in workwear! However, IMHO, there is no harm in interviewers remembering you a little bit more because of your red shoes, or funky jewellery :)
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com
miriam
Site Admin

Postby LucieN » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:32 am

Seconded Miriam.

I think it's important in any sort of interview to look like you have made an effort and respect the people you are meeting and the job/course that you are applying for. But it's always good to stand out a little (for the right reasons!).
LucieN

Postby Alberta » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:34 am

Dress it is then. Thanks for the advice guys :D
Alberta

Postby astra » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:32 pm

It is actually quite a hard job for the interviewers to remember 6 - 8 people a day for 4/5 days or whatever they are interviewing for so if all those people are in a non-descript dark suit and white shirt the interviewers have very little to go on to differentiate them quickly in discussions about who was who. So if you have to go with the dark suit option because you already own it, think about accessorising yourself in an appropriate but personal way that either says something about you, or at least makes you memorable - think jewellery, bags, shoes, tie/scarf anything to make sure you're not just a greyish blur in the middle of a tough day in the middle of a tough week!
astra

Re: Course Interviews - what to wear?

Postby Geishawife » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:15 pm

stech wrote:You have to choose something formal, reserved, and not bright

I totally disagree!! The key words, for me at least, are smart and respectful. If you show up in ripped jeans and a baggy t-shirt and/or are showing acres of bare flesh, that's a problem. But a bright red dress or a purple tie are not going to make you fail an interview! Yes, demonstrate you're being respectful of the course and potential clients, but BE YOURSELF. If that means you feel most comfortable in something bright that's fine.
Geishawife
Team Member

Previous

Return to Clinical Doctorate Courses