Moving to do DClinPsy

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
newmember2017

Moving to do DClinPsy

Post by newmember2017 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:30 pm

Hi all

Has anyone any advice or could share their experiences of what it is like to move a fairly large distance to do the DClinPsy (having to get flights home etc), particuarly if you are in a long-term relationship/married and it isn't ideal for your partner to move with you.

This has been such a strange time - being offered an amazing opportunity and wanting to celebrate that but it also causing a lot of stress and difficulty in other areas of my life.

Thanks!

Bronwen1991

Re: Moving to do DClinPsy

Post by Bronwen1991 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:17 pm

Hi Newmember2017

I think I can relate to how your feeling but my issue is the opposite. I don't live that far away from my placement base, but it is just far enough to be too long to commute.

I also have that strange feeling that sits between "wow this is such an amazing opportunity, I'm excited" and "oh no I think I have to move and how will this impact my life, relationship and well-being."

Right now I am struggling with it, but for me I know I can't NOT do this. For me any sacrifice will be worth it in the end. But I guess each person will have to weight that up.

In terms of my plans...well I just don't know. If the placement days don't exceed 3, I think I wont move and I'll travel and use AirBnB for those days. However this will be expensive. If the placement requires 4/5 days, I think I will have to move. I have known trainees that do a 5 day rent and travel home on the weekends, and that travel is pretty far (i.e. flights etc) and they made it work.

I also know some trainee's that moved and it was too much for the relationship to manage, but eventually they realized it was for the best.

It is such a difficult choice, and I don't know if you feel this, but on top of the choices, decisions etc I then feel guilty for even feeling some negativity about it i.e. "how can I feel bad about this, when I have been so lucky to be given this opportunity!"

I hope you receive some more experiences from trainee's or qualified's, and I will be reading also.

Best wishes,

Bronwen

Holly85

Post by Holly85 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:36 pm

Hi,

I just wanted to say that I am also in the same position. I am having to move a long way for the dclinpsy and my partner isn't able to move with me. It is such a mixed bag of emotions echoing what bronwen said. Although I don't feel like I can give you any ad ice on this as I am in the same position as you I do hope it all goes well for you and I will also be following what others say.

Eriya

Post by Eriya » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:21 pm

I'm in a similar position - wanting to be happy about getting a place on the doctorate, but feeling utterly stressed and sad about having to move. I'm not in a relationship, so don't have to worry about that, but there are other factors in play, such as my friendships and family. As I will be moving with my 2 cats (and no humans) I won't be able to visit my friends and family at all, unless I find someone who will be willing to look after my cats. I also don't drive, which just complicates things, as trains are expensive!! And I can totally relate to that guilty feeling - how can I not be 100% happy about being given the opportunity to do the doctorate??

Bronwen1991

Post by Bronwen1991 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:26 am

Eriya

A big change is never 100% positive. There is always sacrifice and we shouldn't have to feel guilty for the negatives.

We will work it out. I have recently connected with other trainee's to be at Plymouth, and this has made me feel so much better as I know they are feeling it too.

If you were in Devon I would have happily cat sat for you. I also have too cats! However previously when I have gone away and no one has been there to care for them I have used a reputable cattery and my two were absolutely fine!

Best wishes,

Bronwen

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:28 pm

You might well find a cat-friendly peer on training, or someone who has a pet that means you can form a reciprocal arrangement. But there are paid services to come in and feed/play with/walk animals in most towns too. So I'm sure you'll come up with something.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com