which MSc?

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
hannahsow

which MSc?

Post by hannahsow » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:33 pm

I graduated from University of Liverpool with a high 1st class degree in 2017.

due to mental health, abusive ex etc i took a year out of my masters. I have three offers so far - which would be the best to build a foundation for a research career in urban-related causes of mental illness?
MSc Foundations in Clinical Psychology – University of Newcastle
MSc Mental Health: Psychological Therapies – Queen Mary London
MSc Psychological Approaches to Health – University of Leeds

I’m awaiting a reply from KCL (but due to tuition fees will not likely be able to go there) for Early Intervention in Psychosis MSc.

Which would be the best option for me?

hannahsow

Re: which MSc?

Post by hannahsow » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:34 pm

degree was Psychology BSc (Hons)

Esuma

Post by Esuma » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:14 pm

I did the MSc at QMUL. I really enjoyed the course but I’m not sure how much use it would be if you’re mainly interested in doing research. The research component was fairly small and the dissertation was a systematic review rather than original research. I would think you’d be better of doing a masters in research methods or a MRes on your research interest specifically or looking at PhDs

hannahsow

Post by hannahsow » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:22 pm

Can you give me a bit of insight into the course? I'm getting a lot of people say it's not academically vigorous... but it looks like it's pretty intense to me!

I looked into research methods but was told that as I didnt need a masters (?) and because I had a strong stats profile to do a masters i enjoyed. I do eventually want to do the Dclin, but research first

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:50 pm

I'm assuming that the research methods MSc you looked into has a large taught component and is focused on bringing people up to scratch with stats. There are other MScs that are assessed primarily through your own independent research, and the taught component is limited. I agree with Esuma that one of these would be more appropriate for your needs than a taught one. Have a look at different psychology MPhil programmes, or possibly even one 1 + 3 PhD programmes (with this set-up you do an MSc and can proceed directly to PhD). With your marks you might be able to go directly onto a PhD, if you have a research project in mind. I know a few people who did this.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

Esuma

Post by Esuma » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:57 pm

Who’s telling you it’s not academically vigorous? I found it pretty intense! I did mine full time in one year but via distance learning which worked well for me as I carried on working full time. You need to find somewhere to do your placement which you don’t get much help with, placement needs to be a different place to your job or a separate enough role within your workplace, it’s good to start looking for opportunities beforehand as you don’t get much time to find something. You also start on the systematic review early on so it’s good to have some topics of interest before - sounds like your interest in urban causes for psychosis would be a potential one and could be useful to use for review to help with future original research.

The first module is mostly skills for mental health practice like formulation, assessment. You have two exams at the end, a written and an oral exam, an assignment related to the placement and one related to your systematic review.
Second module focuses more on different therapeutic approaches like CBT, CAT, psychodynamic, and treating for specific populations and lots of emphasis on culture. You have another two exams, assignment for placement and pilot of your systematic review. Third module is all research methods - no exams but you have your review to hand in. Any specific questions just PM me, it might have changed since I did it’

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:25 pm

I'm not sure why you need an MSc if you have a first. Why not go gain some experience and save the money, unless you really strongly want to study that topic?
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com