NHS Continuous Service

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.

NHS Continuous Service

Postby Tiger » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:51 pm

Hi,

Does anyone know the rules for continuous NHS service? I have a break of 2 weeks between ending my current post and starting training, and my manager wants me to check that I won't lose the last 2 years.

I'm going to check with HR asap, but would appreciate any first hand experiences!
Tiger

Want to advertise with us? You or your business could fill this space. Email clinpsyforum@gmail.com for information.

Postby eponymous85 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:59 pm

I think you get 3 months before it counts as a gap in service. Pretty sure this has been discussed before - worth a search :D
The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by any invader. The mind is a complex and many layered thing.
eponymous85

Postby eponymous85 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:59 pm

p.s. let me know what you find out, as i've assumed the above and taken a two week break too!
The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by any invader. The mind is a complex and many layered thing.
eponymous85

Postby Tiger » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:36 pm

Thanks eponymous, I searched and that one mention of 3 months came up, it just seemed quite a long time to me as my manager was concerned about 2 weeks!

I'll let you know what HR say.
Tiger

Postby Kitty » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:05 am

I mentioned on another thread (which I can't find now!) that I'd taken a 5-month break between NHS posts at one time, around 2 years ago. At the time I was told that up to 6 months' break still counts as continuous service.
Kitty

Postby Tiger » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:49 am

My HR dept pretty much laughed at me and have said that you can have up to a year's break and continuous service still counts.

So I'm taking my 2 week break, albeit slightly hesitantly as our HR dept is notorious for all the wrong reasons...!!
Tiger

Postby abc » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:05 pm

Hi Tiger

I'm about to take a 2 month break between posts, and have been told by HR that you are allowed 3 months and it will still count as continous service. Apparently before A4C it used to be 6 months.

I love how NHS HR people tell everyone different things! The general policies can't differ that much between NHS boards!

Enjoy your two week break!
abc

Postby Kitty » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:57 pm

abc wrote: Apparently before A4C it used to be 6 months.

Ah, that explains my scenario then. Useful to have up-to-date info, but yeah I guess we should all bear in mind that allowances may vary across trusts! (although you'd think it would be standardised to avoid this type of confusion...) :?
Kitty

Postby Loula » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:18 pm

I know my previous trust was 3 months- my friend had been assured it was longer when she fell pregnant following a 3.5 month break, to later be ttold it wasn't and she is now only entitled to statatory maternity :(

Those of you taking 2 weeks off- have you not thought about taking annual leave instead? That's what I did when I changed trusts because I didn't want to lose out on pay.
Loula

Postby Tiger » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:44 pm

Loula wrote:Those of you taking 2 weeks off- have you not thought about taking annual leave instead? That's what I did when I changed trusts because I didn't want to lose out on pay.

I'm using up my 10 days annual leave at the end of my contract already, so that I'll only lose 2 weeks' pay. In hindsight, I should have negotiated having those 2 weeks as employed but unpaid. Never mind :)
Tiger

Return to Professional/Employment Issues