NHS Continuous Service

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.

NHS Continuous Service

Postby Tiger » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:51 pm

Hi,

Does anyone know the rules for continuous NHS service? I have a break of 2 weeks between ending my current post and starting training, and my manager wants me to check that I won't lose the last 2 years.

I'm going to check with HR asap, but would appreciate any first hand experiences!
Tiger

Want to advertise with us? You or your business could fill this space. Email clinpsyforum@gmail.com for information.

Postby eponymous85 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:59 pm

I think you get 3 months before it counts as a gap in service. Pretty sure this has been discussed before - worth a search :D
The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by any invader. The mind is a complex and many layered thing.
eponymous85

Postby eponymous85 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:59 pm

p.s. let me know what you find out, as i've assumed the above and taken a two week break too!
The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by any invader. The mind is a complex and many layered thing.
eponymous85

Postby Tiger » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:36 pm

Thanks eponymous, I searched and that one mention of 3 months came up, it just seemed quite a long time to me as my manager was concerned about 2 weeks!

I'll let you know what HR say.
Tiger

Postby Kitty » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:05 am

I mentioned on another thread (which I can't find now!) that I'd taken a 5-month break between NHS posts at one time, around 2 years ago. At the time I was told that up to 6 months' break still counts as continuous service.
Kitty

Postby Tiger » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:49 am

My HR dept pretty much laughed at me and have said that you can have up to a year's break and continuous service still counts.

So I'm taking my 2 week break, albeit slightly hesitantly as our HR dept is notorious for all the wrong reasons...!!
Tiger

Postby abc » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:05 pm

Hi Tiger

I'm about to take a 2 month break between posts, and have been told by HR that you are allowed 3 months and it will still count as continous service. Apparently before A4C it used to be 6 months.

I love how NHS HR people tell everyone different things! The general policies can't differ that much between NHS boards!

Enjoy your two week break!
abc

Postby Kitty » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:57 pm

abc wrote: Apparently before A4C it used to be 6 months.

Ah, that explains my scenario then. Useful to have up-to-date info, but yeah I guess we should all bear in mind that allowances may vary across trusts! (although you'd think it would be standardised to avoid this type of confusion...) :?
Kitty

Postby Loula » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:18 pm

I know my previous trust was 3 months- my friend had been assured it was longer when she fell pregnant following a 3.5 month break, to later be ttold it wasn't and she is now only entitled to statatory maternity :(

Those of you taking 2 weeks off- have you not thought about taking annual leave instead? That's what I did when I changed trusts because I didn't want to lose out on pay.
Loula

Postby Tiger » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:44 pm

Loula wrote:Those of you taking 2 weeks off- have you not thought about taking annual leave instead? That's what I did when I changed trusts because I didn't want to lose out on pay.

I'm using up my 10 days annual leave at the end of my contract already, so that I'll only lose 2 weeks' pay. In hindsight, I should have negotiated having those 2 weeks as employed but unpaid. Never mind :)
Tiger

Re: NHS Continuous Service

Postby Beth » Wed May 20, 2015 3:45 pm

I just wanted to bump this post and see what the gap now is? I want to take some time off before trianing as I've been doing long commutes for my current and last AP posts and jsut want a bit of a break before embarking on long commutes again, potentially, for training placements but I would hate to lose out on continuous service or anything else having a break might entail.

Thanks in advance for any help!!
Beth

Postby n2526 » Tue May 26, 2015 10:34 pm

Hi, I also had this query. I rang the HR department at the NHS trust I will be starting with in September. They advised that if I took a three week break this may affect redundancy pay but would not affect the continuous service which counts towards annual leave.

I'd been told before (by a different trust) that if you have a break in service of less than three months this is acceptable, although this is taken into account and they 'knock off' the time from your start date. Eg if you started January 2008 but had a three month gap before starting a new NHS role, HR would adjust your start date to April 2008 to account for this.

One way of getting around this is to see if you can arrange to have unpaid leave to bridge the gap from your last actual working day to starting the new post. I think is an agreement with your manager who would inform HR.

Hope that helps - would be interested to see if anyone else had the same/different response.
n2526

Postby enid » Wed May 27, 2015 9:41 am

For an NHS newbie, what are the benefits of continuous service exactly please?
enid

Postby baa » Wed May 27, 2015 10:24 am

The more years of continuous service you have, the more leave you get. I think that if you have a significant break, then your total days off will reset to the beginning again. Also, sick pay and pay increments will be affected.
At least I'm not as mad as that one!
baa
Team Member

Postby enid » Wed May 27, 2015 11:12 am

Ah ha. Thank you.
enid

Next

Return to Professional/Employment Issues