Some Help Please - The Right Conversion Course

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts

Some Help Please - The Right Conversion Course

Postby Palinurus » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:05 pm

Hi forum

As is evident from the title, I am very interested in studying Psychology and to eventually - though it is a fanciful thought indeed - graduate as a clinical psychologist. At this point in time, I hold a BA in Philosophy and Literature (1st with Hons) and an MA in Literature (with Distinction). My problem is that my former degrees do not contain a strong Psychology content (indeed, they include no Psychology content whatsoever). This is naturally a problem when it comes to enrolling in any Psychology conversion course; I believe the British Psychology Society requires a student have 60 credits in the subject before admission to any conversion programme? Like anyone else, I'd hate to go back to undergraduate level and sit a degree in the subject; three more years of study in any undergraduate pathway is not on my agenda. So the conversion option is the only one that lies open to me. At present, I have constructed the following list of universities offering conversion courses in Psychology. They are:

Birkbeck University of London MSc
Aston University Grad Dip
Edinburgh University MEd
Northumbria University MSc
Nottingham Trent MSc
Sunderland University MSc
Sussex University (Experimental Psyc) MSc
University of East London MSc
Glasgow University MSc
Plymouth MSc
(List available from BPS website)

Could anyone recommend any of the above universities to me? Are their any advantages to be gained from sitting a conversion course in one rather than the other? I find it odd that most of the so-called prestigious universities do not cater for conversion degrees in Psychology - is there any reason for this?

Your help in this matter means a great deal.

Many thanks,

Palinurus
Palinurus

Want to advertise with us? You or your business could fill this space. Email clinpsyforum@gmail.com for information.

Postby mr_tippy » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:09 pm

The answer to your questions are available elsewhere, you dont need 60points, institution doesn't matter etc

I hope to convert after I graduate, probably going to sussex.
mr_tippy

Postby elkie » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:57 pm

Hi Palinurus! I completed my graduate diploma this year so I know a bit about this pathway. Unfortunately I didn't attend any of the unis that you listed so I can't comment there.

However..

mr_tippy wrote:The answer to your questions are available elsewhere, you dont need 60points.

As far as I know you do need the 60 points to do the conversion. I got mine by doing the DSE212 module with Open Uni but I could have done them at the uni where I did my conversion or I could have continued the conversion with the OU (but it would have taken an extra year).
Palinurus, it might be worth studying the DSE212 part time whilst doing some support work so you can get a feel for the path ahead before committing yourself to the conversion.
Elkie.
elkie

Postby mr_tippy » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:35 pm

university of sussex doesn't seem to mention it being required, and the east london only asks for another term, prove me wrong though I need to know lol
mr_tippy

Postby elkie » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:53 pm

Yeah the 60 points should only take one term so that sounds about right with UEL. Might be worth contacting Sussex and finding out?could be a deal breaker?!
elkie

Postby elkie » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:56 pm

Also..
Palinurus,
The BPS list might not be completely accurate/ up to date. I heard that there was a conversion course at one of the Liverpool Unis, but don't know how true this is. E
elkie

Postby mabelmay » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:08 pm

Hi - yes you do need the 60 points, but you can do this part-time over a year or full time over two terms at most of the institutions that do the diploma.
You won't be too late, for example, to gain the 60 points (or the post-grad certificate in psychology, as they call it) by applying to London Metropolitan University to do it full-time starting this February, finishing June. This should leave you free to start the diploma next september, 2010. However, are you working at the moment? And where are you based?
These are important issues, obviously, for where you eventually choose to study.
Birkbeck and the Open University do the diploma, as do lots of "new universities" in London. Basically, most institutions that offer the conversion degrees are ex-polytechnics. I think this is because other, more prestigious universities, only offer full degrees. It doesn't mean the conversion course is any less regarded or valuable.
If you tell me where you're based, I can let you know about various courses available to you. What I would say though, is that you should look into the timetable for those that you're interested and think about which ones suit YOU best. i.e. how available are you? do you prefer day-time lectures/tutorials, do you want to study part or full time etc etc?
good luck.
mabelmay

Postby Toscapuss » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:05 pm

Just to say there are changes afoot with the ou and whether the diploma course will continued to be accreditted with the BPS. Worth speaking with the ou regarding this if this is a route you are considering!

Cheers
B
Toscapuss

Postby mr_tippy » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:50 pm

At the moment, sussex looks like the right conversion for me... I love sussex and it has a good reputation and stronger psychology department than most others, including an empirical dissertation
mr_tippy

Postby mungle » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:00 pm

Ahhhhh...I am awaiting OU degree and BPS. Do you know anymore about these changes to GBR for it???

DSE212 (the Open Uni 60 points) has changed the time of year it begins in to September/Oct so you are probably too late for it this year (might be worth giving them a ring). I have a vague recollection that Oxford Brookes also offer 60 points F/T and P/T.
mungle

Postby Toscapuss » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:42 pm

If you're waiting on results you'll be fine!

It's the conversion course that may not be continuing to be acreditted by the bps although those that have started it will most likely be okay... !

B
Toscapuss

Postby CurlyHair » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:51 am

Hello, the word on the street from the OU is that:

'The OU is carrying out an internal review of the Psychology Conversion Diploma (D15), which confers eligibility for Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership of the BPS. Further information will be publicised when the outcome of the internal review is clear. Students already studying on the Conversion Diploma (D15) and who achieve the required level of pass may be assured that their qualification is recognised by the BPS'.

Hope that helps :)

mungle wrote:Ahhhhh...I am awaiting OU degree and BPS. Do you know anymore about these changes to GBR for it???

DSE212 (the Open Uni 60 points) has changed the time of year it begins in to September/Oct so you are probably too late for it this year (might be worth giving them a ring). I have a vague recollection that Oxford Brookes also offer 60 points F/T and P/T.
CurlyHair

Postby mungle » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:53 pm

Thank you. Little wobble as I wondered if years of study were going down the drain -thankfully not.
mungle

Postby thedreadpersephone » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:59 am

Hi Palinarus,

I did the MSc at Glasgow (graduating with distinction next week :D ). 60 credits in Psychology are required for this course, as is at least a 2:1 in your first degree - don't think you'll have any problems with that bit! The MSc can be done full time in one year or part time over two years and the classes are in the evening.

As a University I'd definitely recommend Glasgow, but the course itself has some significant flaws. Most of the staff are very helpful, but there were a lot of problems with the labs and administrative issues, which still have not been resolved for people who are now doing their second year. Given your excellent academic achievements so far, I don't think you will have much trouble with the essays etc. If you anticipate difficulty with the statistics side of things (I did) then be prepared to buy a book and struggle with it on your own as I felt this aspect was handled badly by the course.

Good luck!
thedreadpersephone

Return to Psychology degrees, conversions and postgrad qualifications