How long do stages of enhanced CRB check take?

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.

How long do stages of enhanced CRB check take?

Postby RzrbldeSuitcase » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:05 am

On the CRB site, it states that they aim to process 90% of enhanced CRB checks within 4 weeks.

My current status is:
Stage 1 (Application Form received and validated): In Progress
Stage 2 (Police National Computer searched): Not Started
Stage 3 (ISA Children, ISA Adults and List 99 searched, where applicable): Not Started
Stage 4 (Records held by the Police search): Not Started
Stage 5 (Disclosure Printed): Not Started

They received it on 23 Dec, so technically, I know its difficult with the holidays, have had it 2 weeks.

The thing is, I obviously want to get out of my current job and start my new one as soon as possible after the check is completed. Now...Do all the stages take equal amount of time? Or is it likely that once it gets going the rest of the stages will be completed quite quickly. For instance could I wake up one day, check online and it's suddenly gone from stage 1 to stage 3, etc. The reason is I need to give 4 weeks notice, hopefully at least two of them can be used up by untaken holiday days, and I'm not sure when to hand my notice in.

Such an annoying system, I think there really needs to be a review of the it, which I'm sure some of you who've been working a lot longer than me will probably have been saying for years! ;)
RzrbldeSuitcase

Want to advertise with us? You or your business could fill this space. Email clinpsyforum@gmail.com for information.

Postby Princess86 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:51 am

Ah, I've got some awful memories of CRB's... I've had 5 done now, and each one has taken 3 months, despite the "90% completed in 4 weeks" slogan.
It's always been stage 4 thats taken the longest period of time for me (the police record search) which has always taken about 2.5 months, the other stages have been much quicker, with one to three going through quickly (as you said).
I would advise you to wait until it has said printed (stage 5) to give in your notice as the time it takes to complete it varies so greatly.
Good luck, hope it clears quickly for ya!
Princess86

Postby Alexander » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:23 am

+1

I've had quite a few CRB checks, none of which were completed in less than 6 weeks, the slowest taking 9.
Alexander

Postby Loula » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:45 am

I would also be hesitant about handing in your notice until you have a definite start date- it's not unknown for jobs to specify that you must start on a certain date (eg first monday of the month) to complete mandatory training, and even then there can be issues with getting a place on the training, having an occ health check done. So in reality this means that it can take quite a while to start! Obviously it depends on your job whether these types of things effect you.
Loula

Postby Ruthie » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:51 am

Have you had a CRB check in the last year - some Trusts will let you start work if you have, but with limited responsibilities (e.g. not seeing clients on your own).

I was able to start my job with my CRB check pending (although it actually came through a few weeks before I started, but I was able to get my start date etc.)

Hope it comes soon!

Ruthie
Ruthie
Site Admin

Postby jadeywadey » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:15 pm

Like Ruthie said most jobs let you start if you have a current CRB check and are just waiting for it to come through. I've started jobs where I've filled in the CRB form the day I started. Stage 4 takes the longest as the police have to check their systems. Also I'm not sure if moving around a lot means the process will take longer as unsure whether records are located centrally on the national computer or whether they have to check with the forces of the areas you have lived in.
I wouldn't hand in your notice just yet until you are given a start date. Maybe you should ring up your new employer to discuss this?
jadeywadey

Postby RzrbldeSuitcase » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:09 pm

Just an update to let everyone know it doesn't necessarily take so long.

Mine roughly went like this:
Recieved: 23 Dec

Stage 1 (Application Form received and validated): 07 Jan
Stage 2 (Police National Computer searched): 11 Jan
Stage 3 (ISA Children, ISA Adults and List 99 searched, where applicable): 11 Jan
Stage 4 (Records held by the Police search): 19 Jan
Stage 5 (Disclosure Printed): ... and sent off 20 Jan

Very impressed, I think I may have dropped on lucky with timing of the year, I doubt many new teachers, or care workers would be taking up posts over xmas/Jan time. I was settled into thinking that stage 4 would take minimum a month so was bit of a shock when I checked and it was suddenly completed, gonna have to start thinking about moving a bit earlier than expected.
RzrbldeSuitcase

Postby e » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:40 pm

how do you check the status? Im waiting on mine before I can start a job! thanks
e

Postby Princess86 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:25 pm

CRB have an on-line tracking system:

https://secure.crbonline.gov.uk/enquiry ... ySearch.do

You'll have to enter your date of birth and your CRB application number. If you don't know the application number you can phone 0870 90 90 811.
Princess86

Postby e » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:44 am

thats very helpful, thanks
e

Return to Professional/Employment Issues