NHS- support worker interview, very worried.any giudance plz

Discuss what to expect in job and course interviews, what topics might be covered, how to manage anxiety, and how to get the desired result!

NHS- support worker interview, very worried.any giudance plz

Postby chuckies » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:10 pm

Hi All.

I have an interview for a support worker role and I remain baffled as to what I could be examined on in a knowledge exam. Even looking at the job spec does not allow me to inferr. wanted to know is it something I can revise for.

Similarly, what do those who had similar expereinces advise in terms of looking at current nhs interviews and prepping, researching how to write a careplan (we had no opportunity to do this in my role as a support worker in my role in the private sector). In the past, my downfall has been trying to read around too much, then getting overwhelmed and then having to cancel the interview.

I have had several interviews in the private sector but they have all been mainly about applying common sense. I dont know why the nhs interview is beginning to nerve me, perhaps it is the prospect of it being 3 hours long.

Any guidance would be most welcome.

Thank you.
chuckies

Want to advertise with us? You or your business could fill this space. Email clinpsyforum@gmail.com for information.

Postby Siobhán » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:27 pm

May I ask what type of setting the role is, inpatient/outpatient, type of patient?
In my role as a HCA which is interchangeable with a support worker, we need to know things such as confidentiality issues, different coloured bags and their reasons (ie red bag for linens with bodily fluids on), how you would deal with certain situations etc. I hope this helps
Siobhán

Postby chuckies » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:00 pm

inpatient with nhs professionals.

I have just looked at the applicant information pack and I have inferred it is a written assessment and not mcq (like I had hoped).

Thank you for your reply. I have considered those issues and can talk and write about them in the exam and interview.

It is frustrating to know you have an assessment and you have no means of revising for it. I have only been in my hca role for nearly 5 months, and it is my first clinical/psychology related job.

I suppose I could look at nhs nsf and ksf guidelines to get more information. I have a matter of 5 days(well 4 and a bit including today).

Arrgh, I perhaps have too high expectations. If you fail the exam, you can only retake after 6 months with evidence of professional development since you last sat the exam.
chuckies

Postby miriam » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:29 pm

I wouldn't panic too much. SW roles are not exclusively pitched at graduate level, so they won't expect preparation and research, they'll expect the ability to apply common sense and know basic information relating policies about infection control, moving and handling, treating patients with respect and dignity, valuing diversity, confidentiality, protecting children and vulnerable adults, etc. If you are anxious about it you could ring them up and ask for more information or a chance to talk to someone already doing the role you are applying for?
Miriam

A hero is an ordinary person who rises to a challenge.
miriam
Site Admin

Postby Loula » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:25 pm

I previously had a written task for a support worker post and it involved writing (for about 30 mins) a bit about what I thought was important to consider on a mental health ward- there were suggestions such as diversity, equality, security etc.- the point of the exercise was to assess your values and also to check that you could write clearly (essential for writing clinical notes etc.)
Loula

Postby chuckies » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:22 pm

Thanks Miriam and Loula for your replies.

I am more at ease with my interview panicking. I am weighing myself down with too many expectations unnecessarily.

I am just going to go for it and see what results from the day.
chuckies

Postby LucieN » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:05 pm

Congratulations on interview first of all.

Second, please stop stressing! I currently work as a support worker for an NHS crisis team and have a lot of involvement with the local inpatient open and secure wards.

Similarly, I had to do a written task on interview but it literally involved thinking about seeing clients in the community and listing the relevant risks. Just try not to overthink it it and DO really on your common sense!

If you have any specific queries feel free to pm if I can be of any help!
LucieN

Return to Interviews