Support worker interview

Discuss what to expect in job and course interviews, what topics might be covered, how to manage anxiety, and how to get the desired result!

Support worker interview

Postby assagloli » Mon May 03, 2010 2:13 pm

I have an interview for a job as support worker for adults with learning disabilities. What can I do to prepare myself for the interview? Anyone know what kind of questions I will be asked?
assagloli

Want to advertise with us? You or your business could fill this space. Email clinpsyforum@gmail.com for information.

Postby bright_red » Mon May 03, 2010 7:14 pm

Hi. Welcome to the site.
I've not worked specifically with learning disabilities myself but in the support worker interviews I have had they have not been too demanding in nature, they are mainly about common sense. There are lots of posts on this site.. if you do a search with regards to support worker roles. Saying that, although a lot is common sense I still do a bit of prep each time because common sense isn't exactly always at the tip of my tongue when I'm nervous!
Questions will probably be fairly standard (why you want the job etc), skills that might make you suitable to the position. They might ask you scenario type questions. Proffessional boundaries are often a good thing to think about. They might ask you about previous experience. It is important to read the job description so that you have a clear idea about what this is, make sure you can vocalise this if asked about what your understanding is of the role. You might be asked about your feelings towards certain things you might be asked to do..perhaps personal care? Also perhaps thinking of any questions before you go for the interview..something that demonstrates you've engaged with the role or the place of work.

With regards to other preparation, one of the best things I ever did was request to go and view the unit before interview. Often you get to meet the client group and see if its something you really want to do..you kind of might get a bit of a free speech from someone that works there (might be handy in the interview for kind of inside knowledge).

I hope this helps. Good luck :)
bright_red

Postby Ripley » Mon May 03, 2010 7:24 pm

I PM'd you assagloli
Ripley

Postby Nomi » Mon May 03, 2010 11:17 pm

Very much depends on the job description because you're likely to get 'what would you do if you had to support a service user to do x' questions. I'd definitely read up on Personalisation and think about issues like service user empowerment (how you personally can support this) as well as teamworking, supervision, managing risk (don't be too risk averse). Think about the kind of challenges that might arise in day-to-day life for this particular client group and how you might support them to address those challenges. Rubee Red's right - a lot of it is common sense, just think about how you would relate to someone in a respectful and supportive way.
Nomi

Postby kirstyhunter04 » Tue May 04, 2010 9:18 pm

I am involved in the recruitment of support workers for people with learning disabilities, and as a lot of people said they are not too challenging. We ask people to fill in a mock accident form and do a short maths test (very easy!) before asking any questions.

Generally the questions require common sense. You could have a look at the Valuing People legislation to get an idea of personalisation, but generally the underlying thing we look for is someone that will give all the service users choices and promote their independence, so think of how you could give examples of that.

Hope that helps!
kirstyhunter04

Return to Interviews