NHS Bank Support Worker

Discuss any aspect of applying for posts or courses (apart from the clinical psychology doctorate which has its own forum section), CVs, application forms, etc

NHS Bank Support Worker

Postby ps0u413c » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:56 pm

Hi,

I have recently been successful in getting a part time AP post in a CAMHS unit, however this is only for two days a week and so I was looking at NHS Bank Support Work to gain some extra money and experience. However, after reading the NHS website they suggest that 'It is essential that you have at least three months experience as a Care Support Worker (or equivalent position) in a hospital setting'.

I have previous experience of working as a support worker with people with learning difficulties and mental health issues (3 months) and I have also had a previous part-time job as a support worker for older adults in a residential home.

Do you think that the above experience count as relevant? If not how do I go about getting experience of working in a hospital setting with the experiences I have?
ps0u413c

Want to advertise with us? You or your business could fill this space. Email clinpsyforum@gmail.com for information.

Postby chuckies » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:11 pm

You have the 3 months requisite experience. I understood it to be in any capacity evn if it was in a nursing home. I secured a job with nhs professionals and it is very flexible as you can chose your shifts and types of wards. I previosly worked in a rehabilitation unit. Its the skills that are transferable that counts. I would apply. It is a very straightforward application process.
chuckies

Postby KitKat » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:04 am

I've been thinking the same thing recently ps0u413c. I've looked at every single HCA/Support Worker job on the NHS jobs website at the moment (in my area), and all of them ask for previous experience in a hospital setting as essential. But how is anyone supposed to get their first job in a hospital setting, when previous experience is always required?!
KitKat

Postby Dawn-Elyse » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:37 pm

I know what you mean. I live in the north west as well KitKat and have been spending the last few months doing nothing much else than applying for job after job, and keep getting told that I have no prior experience of working with patients (although I've been working in the outpatients dept. of a local hospital, it's more admin based). However I have just FINALLY started work as a healthcare assistant on a neurology ward in Lancashire.

I'll let you in on a little secret I found out before applying, it worked for me....

Just keep applying for any HCA jobs that come up in the area as most hospitals carry out 'group interview days' for a variety of different wards (inc. mental health and neuro etc). During the interview they asked what type of ward/ patient group would I like to work with and I mentioned about wanting to gain experience in mental health. They explained that on the neurology wards they often get patients with a variety of cognitive behavioural difficulties/ neuro rehab injuries so placed me on this ward for the experience I needed. Even if there are no ideal positions available it'll at least give your the experience you need to then transfer across into a more suitable vacancy within the hospital as they arise.

Hope this helps you all. And good luck!!
Dawn-Elyse

Postby ps0u413c » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:11 pm

just in response to my first post, it turns out my experience was enough as i have just been invited to an interview to join nhs professionals, so pretty pleased! Thanks for all the advice.
ps0u413c

Postby chuckies » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:19 pm

Good luck. It is very straightforward, too straightforward in my view. I had to sit a 45 minute test and the interview was very short.
chuckies

Return to Applications