IAPT wiki under construction

The Wiki is the section where we have compiled useful information on frequently asked questions. The format is different to the rest of the ClinPsy forum, so this section explains how it works.
eponymous85

IAPT wiki under construction

Post by eponymous85 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:32 pm

Hi all, this is a 'bare bones' IAPT wiki, which I plan to update soon. I have a big long list of IAPT threads which I'm taking info from, but I'm happy for other people to contribute (I'm looking at you, baa!)
The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by any invader. The mind is a complex and many layered thing.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:42 pm

Great start for a wiki Eponymous :D
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

helloimnew

Post by helloimnew » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:23 pm

Hi I wondered if there could be the addition of how IATP works in Scotland with NES going for the MSc leading to 'clinical associate' status instead? Also, (this is more of a question than a statement), my understanding of IATP low/high intensity workers is that professionals from social work/nursing/OT can also apply while in Scotland you must have an accredited UG Psychology degree to apply. I find this a bit odd! Any comments?

eponymous85

Post by eponymous85 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:36 pm

Hi helloimnew, I don't really know anything about iapt Scotland, although you seem to have an idea - perhaps you'd like to contribute?
The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by any invader. The mind is a complex and many layered thing.

helloimnew

Post by helloimnew » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:45 pm

To be honest I'm posting this partly for clarification for myself (!) as I've come from a non-traditional route into clinical psychology. Perhaps there are some others in the know out there who can contribute?!

Addition - I did find this as a start: http://www.nes.scot.nhs.uk/psychology/courses/

Kitty

Post by Kitty » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:53 am

Good stuff, eponymous! Thank you :)

eponymous85

Post by eponymous85 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:06 pm

Thanks for splitting off this thread, magical moderating pixie :D

sarum

Post by sarum » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:16 am

Hi eponymous85,

I read your IAPT wiki with interest having worked for 1.5 years as a GMHW, and the old primary mental health care service (PMHS) that I worked for has since been transformed into a new IAPT service with many of my former colleagues now IAPT workers. What a super summary! I think it encapsulates the key points of the IAPT service, particularly from a psychology graduate's point of view, and the emphasis on "guided self-help" interventions fits exactly with my experience.

Could I suggest a couple of other points that occurred to me?
Firstly, it might be worth mentioning that contrary to a PMHS, IAPT is target-driven and therefore appears to be closely related to the new "payment by results" plan that Foundation Trusts in the NHS seem to be working towards. This means that LIW are likely to be given a target number of "contacts" to acheive in any given day/week/month.

Secondly, outcome measures are very important and I believe LIW are supposed to complete an outcome measure during each telephone intervention. This may have important implications for "successful" cases, as it's my understanding that a completed case could be as few as 2 contacts (even if they're each 15 min telephone calls), so long as the client's 2nd outcome measure is significantly better than the first and this is regardless of the content of the calls, whether any goals have been acheived, etc.

Thirdly, LIW in my former Trust also run community based psycho-educational courses (e.g. stress management, anger management, etc) in the evenings at local community centres or colleges, and this can be excellent work experience.

In my experience and from talking with lots of colleagues in the service, there are implications regarding "medicalising" mental health problems. For clients entering IAPT, a "disorder" is very likely specified by their GP onto their medical record. I'm not 100% certain what the implications of this are, but my anecdotal and overall impression is that many more people are now referring to their "depression" or "anxiety", rather than just having a low mood or being worried for a few months.

One final thought is the difference between GMHW/LIW posts and AP posts - I've actually written an article about this for the DCP Forum. I'd be very happy to post it somewhere... but not sure if this is helpful?

I hope that some of this is helpful anyway!

eponymous85

Post by eponymous85 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:22 am

Thank you Sarum, all really useful points. I will update the wiki.

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:04 pm

And do please share your article, it sounds very interesting :D
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

sarum

Post by sarum » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:13 pm

The article is just a reflective piece having worked as both a GMHW and an AP (at the same time!), but I felt I learned a few things that I would have liked to have known before. I'm very happy to post it here, but not sure how?

russ

Post by russ » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:44 pm

It might make a lovely article for Aspire!

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:16 pm

If its been published in Forum, we'd need the DCP's permission to reprint in Aspire. It should be available online to DCP members though. Perhaps you can PM me the reference, and I can check with whoever edits Forum at the moment?
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com