EMDR training

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.
joanner

EMDR training

Post by joanner » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:56 pm

Has anyone done EMDR training? I am considering it but the information out there is overwhelming and I'm not sure where to start.

Joanne
Once you know it, you can't unknow it...

BlueCat

Re: EMDR training

Post by BlueCat » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:59 pm

That's quite an out of date paper, though - eleven years old!
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

joanner

Post by joanner » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:15 pm

BlueCat wrote:That's quite an out of date paper, though - eleven years old!
That was my first reaction too.

baa

Post by baa » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:01 pm

EMDR is in the NICE guidelines, so on the purely financial Iwannajob grounds, it's worth it ;)
At least I'm not as mad as that one!

joanner

Post by joanner » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:46 pm

baa wrote:EMDR is in the NICE guidelines, so on the purely financial Iwannajob grounds, it's worth it ;)
Seriously though, nearly every avenue of private work, whether that is individual referrers such as solicitors or larger organisations, asks you to state on your provider application form if you've got EMDR training (because of the high rate of trauma cases that come from these sources). I feel I'd be losing out financially in the long term if I didn't do the training and I don't think that the NICE guidelines are about to change any time soon. Look at how CBT has snowballed and I've written enough essays debating the pros and cons of that therapy!

I decided to do the part 1 training with EMDR Works because it is accredited by the proper professional body and it's local to me so cuts out on travelling and accommodation costs. I'm doing it in five weeks so I'll let you know what I think afterwards.

Joanne 8)

Ruthie

Post by Ruthie » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:44 pm

I get some supervision with someone who has EMDR training - she is very positive about it, particularly for people who are less verbal or who have many traumas, where she finds it helpful in finding a theme underlying the trauma and working on that.

I'm still not convinced by the arm wavey thing, but hey ho! :lol:

You will have to report back Joanne!
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken Him completely by surprise.

Scottybottybanana

Post by Scottybottybanana » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:05 pm

baa wrote:EMDR is in the NICE guidelines, so on the purely financial Iwannajob grounds, it's worth it ;)
You not worried about discrediting yourself and looking like a quack waving your arms around saying that you support something which if someone who wasn't from a psychological background told you about it you would think they were mad.
'Dr Francine Shapiro' who attended a never accredited now defunct school of psychology?

Scottybottybanana

Post by Scottybottybanana » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:08 pm

joanner wrote:
I decided to do the part 1 training with EMDR Works because it is accredited by the proper professional body and it's local to me so cuts out on travelling and accommodation costs. I'm doing it in five weeks so I'll let you know what I think afterwards.

Joanne 8)
'proper professional body' ? are they not self-accrediting? is there any real professional body that accredits them? its like NLP who accredit themselves also and then scam out licenses to become trainers to every man and his dog in a pyramid scheme.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:53 am

Just because the part most marketed as the USP of EMDR has not got an evidenced rationale does not mean there have not been trials that have fairly conclusively shown the technique to be helpful. Lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

joanner

Post by joanner » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:46 pm

Scottybottybanana wrote:
'proper professional body' ? are they not self-accrediting? is there any real professional body that accredits them? its like NLP who accredit themselves also and then scam out licenses to become trainers to every man and his dog in a pyramid scheme.
Ouch. :eye:

I'm reading the EMDR 'bible' written by Francine Shapiro at the moment and it already starts to make sense. A big emphasis is on the fact that she wanted to rename it 'Reprocessing Therapy' to encompass the whole therapy and not just the eye bit but the EMDR name was already too well-established and ran away with itself. She points out that the eye movement aspect is only one part of the therapy but people think it's 99% of it when they hear the name. There are lots of other therapeutic techniques involved (interesting interview with Francine Shapiro here) so no, I'm not too worried about "discrediting myself and looking like a quack waving my arms around" quite yet.

I'll finish reading the book, do the training and report back. I'm keeping an open mind on it as I know a few clinicians who integrate it into their work and find it helpful. I don't think you can compare it to NLP where there isn't an essential requirement that you are a qualified mental health professional before you can train, where courses vary in quality and duration, and where the scientific basis for their claims aren't particularly grounded in recognisable psychological concepts.

Joanne

Scottybottybanana

Post by Scottybottybanana » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:42 pm

miriam wrote:Just because the part most marketed as the USP of EMDR has not got an evidenced rationale does not mean there have not been trials that have fairly conclusively shown the technique to be helpful. Lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Of course, I am willing to accept the dodo-bird verdict here.

Scottybottybanana

Post by Scottybottybanana » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:46 pm

joanner wrote:
Scottybottybanana wrote: (interesting interview with Francine Shapiro here) so no, I'm not too worried about "discrediting myself and looking like a quack waving my arms around" quite yet.

I'll finish reading the book, do the training and report back. I'm keeping an open mind on it as I know a few clinicians who integrate it into their work and find it helpful. I don't think you can compare it to NLP where there isn't an essential requirement that you are a qualified mental health professional before you can train, where courses vary in quality and duration, and where the scientific basis for their claims aren't particularly grounded in recognisable psychological concepts.

Joanne
Was an interesting interview, upto phase one its perfectly acceptable. Plenty of active ingredients for psychological change there, afterwards questionable.

Pink

Post by Pink » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:55 am

Hi,

I'm interested in doing EMDR training this year, but am a bit confused by the different organisations who offer training, and the differences between the professional bodies they are accredited by. Some seem to be EMDR Europe and others EMDR UK. Can anyone shed some light on the differences please, or recommend a particular training/share your experiences? Feel free to pm me if it's a breach of forum guidance to post this information in the open. I have been looking at this training but there seem to be others as well, and I'd like to do the 'best' one, or the most rigorous, if I can. It's such a powerful technique and I want to do it well.

http://www.emdr-training.com/

Many thanks

Pink
Kintsukuroi: 'to repair with gold'. the art of repairing pottery with gold or silver lacquer and understanding that the piece is more beautiful for having been broken.

@Sushipink22

bluegoat

Post by bluegoat » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:04 am

Pink wrote:Hi,

I'm interested in doing EMDR training this year, but am a bit confused by the different organisations who offer training, and the differences between the professional bodies they are accredited by. Some seem to be EMDR Europe and others EMDR UK. Can anyone shed some light on the differences please, or recommend a particular training/share your experiences? Feel free to pm me if it's a breach of forum guidance to post this information in the open. I have been looking at this training but there seem to be others as well, and I'd like to do the 'best' one, or the most rigorous, if I can. It's such a powerful technique and I want to do it well.

http://www.emdr-training.com/

Many thanks

Pink
I'm in exactly the same boat Pink - I've asked a colleague who has had theirs funded by their Trust to find out what organisation it was with. I'll let you know when I hear more if you like?