Process of giving notice / starting new job

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.
spiketwinkle

Process of giving notice / starting new job

Post by spiketwinkle » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:48 pm

Hi,

I have been offered a (qualified) post back in secondary care where I was happiest and have a 12 week notice period in the primary care service where I'm currently based. I have verbally accepted the offer and am awaiting a formal letter. As they are both the same nhs foundation trust I am hoping to negotiate with HR over needing to go through occ health etc once that letter and the CRB forms come through. When do you all think I should give notice in my current post? Do I have to wait until HR have confirmed all needed checks are completed? Could be ages till I start if that's the case and as I offer 16 session minimum interventions mainly I am reluctant to take on new patients as I discharge others in my current role. Just wondered what others had done in similar positions. :?

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
spiketwinkle

Re: Process of giving notice / starting new job

Post by spiketwinkle » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:49 pm

PS current employers don't know about informal acceptance because I didn't use them as referees. Did any of you give informal notice of your intention to leave out of courtesy?

astra

Post by astra » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:19 am

Sorry I don't know. Since qualifying I've only had a locum job which was finishing anyway and then my current job which I've been in for 5 years. Given what's going on in my Trust with Transformations etc. I'd be very reluctant to do anything until I had the formal offer letter in my hands and I would stick to formal protocol throughout. However, out of courtesy and to avoid taking on clients that I wouldn't be able to see through to an ending, I might have a chat with my line manager to give them the heads up and see if I could do more assessments and not take on new therapy cases as I wound up my current caseload. If I was unsure how they'd take it, I might wait a bit and just bide my time.
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn

spiketwinkle

Post by spiketwinkle » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:35 pm

Thanks Astra,

That's what I was thinking and very helpful.

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:03 am

Don't do anything until you have your formal offer letter in your hand. As its the same Trust it is essentially a job with the same employer and you shouldn't need additional employment checks.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

spiketwinkle

Post by spiketwinkle » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:12 am

Thanks Bluecat. I really appreciate the replies.

eponymous85

Post by eponymous85 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:28 pm

I wouldn't hand in official notice without a planned start date. A break of just one week in employment will lose you any entitlement to redundancy pay for another 2 years.
The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by any invader. The mind is a complex and many layered thing.

spiketwinkle

Post by spiketwinkle » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:31 pm

Thanks eponymous! Good point! I'm just sitting tight for now and waiting for the letter then I will call HR and decide whether to. Officially give heads up to work or wait until i give official notice

LilyPad

Post by LilyPad » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:41 pm

Hi

I know this is difficult to answer but I just wanted to ask, once offered an AP post in the NHS how long can you expect to wait until you're given a start date? I was offered the job at the end of January, I have an electronic offer letter and have received my CRB. I rang up the recruitment services as I wanted to know what was going on and maybe get a 'ball park' start date, to which they said they'd ring me back. I haven't yet handed in my notice in my current role but have given the manager a heads up, just as I didn't think it would be ethical to start any new work with clients only to hand it over. But needless to say I am getting very restless and can't start anything new at work, which makes me feel very redundant!

Trying to see the silver lining as I now have lots to reflect on in the way of trying to be patient and coping with anxiety! Especially as I am also going through the clinical doctorate process right now too......Bah!

spiketwinkle

Post by spiketwinkle » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:34 pm

Only HR can keep you updated really. I have always just rung them and asked what stage I was at with process. In this last job change, which occurs next week, I hadnt been informed I could give notice but when I called HR they advised me I could cos references etc were complete. If I'd waited to hear like colleagues it would have been weeks longer I'm sure.

Peach

Post by Peach » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:22 am

Lily pad, in my current AP post I wasn't given a start date until 4 days before they wanted me to start! However with AP posts it usually takes around 2 months from your interview date for you to start.
The best thing about this signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything, it's too late for you to stop reading.

LilyPad

Post by LilyPad » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:35 pm

Thanks guys. That's made me feel a lot better, I was starting to get paranoid that they'd randomly decided they didn't want me any more but didn't want to tell me, like some horrific break-up haha

I rang up yesterday and although I still don't have answers (apparently they haven't received my CRB yet which seems odd?) the nice lady specifically made a note to call me on Monday once the woman dealing with my case was available. Hope I get a start date (or at least an idea of one) very very soon!

Ruthie

Post by Ruthie » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:30 pm

Don't do anything until you have the formal offer. You may be able to negotiate moving more quickly into your new post especially is it is within the same Trust. (I managed to negotiate 12 weeks notice down to 4 moving to a different Trust so it can be done!) Keep on top of HR regarding the process and to make sure there are no delays.

Congratulations!
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken Him completely by surprise.

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:56 am

I was offered a new job, same band but different department, with my current employer. I've had to go through all the same pre-employment checks as a new starter. I was offered the job on 24th November and am just now waiting on a start date. I did give my notice in on 24th November because I have to give 12 weeks! So even when already employed by the same trust, in the same role, it can take months!
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.