Campaign for a Royal College of Psychologists

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.
Keyser_Soze

Re: Campaign for a Royal College of Psychologists

Post by Keyser_Soze » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:14 pm

Thanks Gilly. It's an interesting idea to wrestle with. I get the sense that the DCP is quite a messy structure to navigate, so can see why a Royal College may be appealing. That said, adding another organisation to the mix may confuse the public and other professionals so perhaps it would take us no further forward in that sense.

I wince slightly at the thought of separating academic psychologists with healthcare psychologists absolutely. Whilst there is undoubtedly clear and fair distinctions to be made between them, personally I'd argue that preserving the role of academic within the profession of C.P. will be to the benefit of the profession for years to come. Would achieving this be easier under the BPS umbrella where contact and support from a number of divisions is possible? I haven't made up my mind yet.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Borrowed Cone

Post by Borrowed Cone » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:43 pm

If you have a read of this month's (June) Clinical Psychology Forum, you will see that the DCP Chair is at least entertaining the idea of a College system.
"We can rebuild him. We have the technology. But I don't want to spend a lot of money..."

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:29 pm

My (increasingly jaded) thoughts on this matter:

I think there is a desire for a professional body that is more able to advocate for us, give opinion on issues and generally be more proactive. We want to be heard and represented. We're a tiny little subgroup to a large union, and one of many professions under a large regulator, and at times it feels like we are also one of many groups with differing agendas within the BPS. The problem is who 'we' is in terms of the most helpful grouping to belong to. Are we CPs, or practitioner psychologists, or applied psychologists, or healthcare psychologists, or just psychologists? Being part of a larger group gives a louder voice but perhaps at the cost of a diluted or more confused identity... and whilst that question is unanswered the in-fighting will prevent a coherent external message or satisfaction with any professional body.

Its gotten to the point where I am more annoyed with the moaning and bickering than I am with the BPS. I think they could be the right organisation, but they need to bit the bullet and make some changes, not least to let the world know about all the work they are quietly doing in the background.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:59 am

The Campaign for a Royal College of Psychologists is moving ever closer to our goal. We now have 521 supporters, of whom 441 are BPS members. We need over 500 BPS member supporters before we can petition council on the matter of a ballot over a move to a Royal College. It's now more important than ever that you contact all your friends and colleagues and get them to sign up for our campaign at www.rcpsychol.com Posters and leaflets are available to download from the website. You will note that we have a new campaign logo, the evolving butterfly of Psyche alighting on a heraldic shield.

We have agreed three potential aims of a future Royal College of Psychologists, which are to be referred to in all correspondence:

1. To act as a unified voice to safeguard the professional integrity of all psychologists regardless of the nature of their practice, nationally, politically and in the media; promoting and developing psychologists’ work and research, protecting their needs, acting as a active advocates for how psychologists and their work are perceived publicly.

2. To work towards a statutory protection of the title “Psychologist”; to establish the right of all psychologists to be equitably registered, and to lobby the Government towards those goals.

3. To act as an equitable trade union for psychologists in the model of the Royal College of Nursing and British Medical Association, should this be the members’ wish at the appropriate time.

Your committee has representation from all the BPS' divisions and special groups from all parts of the country and Peter Farnbank, educational psychologist, has been appointed vice chair.

There is a lot of interest in our campaign from senior figures in the BPS and a real desire for change across the Society. Please do everything that you can to make as many people as possible aware of our campaign. Raise it at departmental, area, regional and national meetings, write about our campaign to 'The Psychologist' and your subsystem journals and newsletters and use the social media of LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter (use the #rcpsychol hash tag) to promote our cause. We have a presence on all three.

Our aim is to exceed the 500 member supporter target by the end of July and to start conversations at all levels and in all parts and regions of the BPS this month in readiness for our preparing to submit our petition to council in September, accompanied by a major press campaign. With your help, we can achieve this. If you can each recruit just one member, we can achieve our target in no time.

Professor Jamie Hacker Hughes
Chair, The Royal College Campaign
Miriam

BenJMan

Post by BenJMan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:48 pm

Why have the chosen a horrible butterfly crest as their logo :(
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people ~ Maya Angelou.

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:18 pm

You will note that we have a new campaign logo, the evolving butterfly of Psyche alighting on a heraldic shield.
From their website. I guess it is meant to represent psychologists (psyche's butterfly) achieving (evolving) royal recognition (becoming knighted).

For the record, I don't like it much either.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

AnalyseThis

Post by AnalyseThis » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:08 pm

Looks more like a moth.

Gilly

Post by Gilly » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:33 pm

miriam wrote: not least to let the world know about all the work they are quietly doing in the background.
this is one of the things that really gets me - working for the BPS/DCP myself, I do a LOT of work behind the scenes, trying to improve things for pre-quals, get events up and running - but mine is but a TINY bit - the main DCP does SO much in consulting and commenting on things, on a primarily voluntary staff basis - and it just irks me when people then go "its only a magazine" - they REALLY need to improve upon shouting about what they're doing!!
You're not calling for help, are you?! ;)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln.

hettie

Post by hettie » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:13 pm

The BPS (and the divisions) have a shocking relationship with marketing and communication... there is no clear strategy articulated (possibly because as far as I can work out they don't have a strategy).... and the implementation is poor. This alone is enough for me to push for a Royal College.....this bit To act as a unified voice to safeguard the professional integrity of all psychologists regardless of the nature of their practice, nationally, politically and in the media; promoting and developing psychologists’ work and research, protecting their needs, acting as a active advocates for how psychologists and their work are perceived publicly.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:33 pm

As Communication and Publication officer for the CYPF Faculty within the DCP, the problem is threefold:

1) As any part of the BPS you are herding cats. Everyone has their own view, and the various subdivisions disagree with each other about a remarkable range of things. There isn't even a core definition of a psychologist people can agree on. You can never speak for everyone, and someone objects no matter how neutral or obvious the message seems to be to 90% of people you consult.
2) No-one contributes. You send out a message requesting views on some important issue to 1000 people and get 1-3 responses, one of which will be to complain about the question. So whatever you try to say ends up being representative of only the very few people who bother (or reframed more benevolently, have time to) to contribute.
3) Nobody is paid to do it. The work is done by people like me who volunteer about 9 days a year to the committee. To spell it out, for someone self-employed like me that is 9 days income I haven't earned - nearly half a month of pay I'm sacrificing in order to do work that nobody even knows is being done, and everybody moans about not being done well enough when they aren't even replying to the emails (see 1 and 2). The chair of each committee gets one day of pay per month, but only administrative roles are salaried at the BPS.

So, much as I'd like to see the same outcomes of a more proactive and publicly visible representative body, I don't see the problem as being in the name or whether its a Royal College or a charity for public benefit. The issue is in how it is funded and structured and empowered to speak for us - and most importantly in how we come up with some unified messages for it to say!
Miriam

hettie

Post by hettie » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:23 am

I totally agree.....It's outrageous to outsource something so important to unpaid volunteers (who may or may not have the appropriate skills). But then you could ask why it is that the BPS doesn't fund marketing and communication or 'lobbying' (with a small l!). For the size of organisation it is it should have a marketing and communication team instead of just funding one person. It doesn't have a strategy on this (possibly because it doesn't want one?). I was at the DCOP conference last weekend and attended a session in which it became clear that the BPS does't want to communicate a message. Apparently (at least according to the website) "The Society’s Press Centre promotes evidence-based psychological research to the media and wider audiences." ..... yet I see very little evidence of them promoting this...... plus that's just a press office not a marketing and communication strategy.
As an aside I really think this culture of volunteering/working for free is culturally corrosive... What the hell are we saying about how much we value the work of an Assistant Psychologist or communication officer etc etc if don't pay them. And that's leaving aside the issue of the inevitable self-selection that this induces.....It's madness... If we don't come across as confident in our worth and able to communicate our value the down-banding and service cutting will continue apace :evil: think i need to go and calm down before I get too excised on this issue :D

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Sat May 10, 2014 2:06 am

Has JHH just been elected as BPS President for 2015? Either that or his LinkedIn has been hacked!
Miriam

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Sat May 10, 2014 9:30 am

Yes. He has.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

hettie

Post by hettie » Sat May 10, 2014 10:53 am

Yes he has, but he'll have his work cut out. I now have a bit more insight into the machinations of the BPS and I had a long chat with a friend who has high level expereicen of working with charity/not for profit boards and execs. I feel the conservative culture comes largely from the trustees, and the process of cultural change in any orgaisation (especialy an organisation with a conservative board of trustees) is very slow.....I fear we will remain an irrelevance in decision making at the level of NHS England and poliitical policy making for some time to come...

Borrowed Cone

Post by Borrowed Cone » Sat May 10, 2014 12:27 pm

hettie wrote:Yes he has, but he'll have his work cut out. I now have a bit more insight into the machinations of the BPS and I had a long chat with a friend who has high level expereicen of working with charity/not for profit boards and execs. I feel the conservative culture comes largely from the trustees, and the process of cultural change in any orgaisation (especialy an organisation with a conservative board of trustees) is very slow.....I fear we will remain an irrelevance in decision making at the level of NHS England and poliitical policy making for some time to come...
What a lovely, optimistic message to wake up to this morning :roll:

Whilst there has to be a degree of realism that change can be slow, the question is whether this is a step towards different thinking in the BPS, as opposed to the same-old, same-old. I suspect it is given that he is a big supporter of an increased role for the BPS in social policy, something that the DCP is working towards at the moment given recent Forum editions and tweets I have seen from the Forum editor. Therefore we should expect to see greater engagement by the BPS at the very least over the coming years. For that to happen, more psychologists need to engage with the BPS. I hope that will be the case.

The Cone
"We can rebuild him. We have the technology. But I don't want to spend a lot of money..."