Negotiating pay - private consultant posts

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.
Spatch

Re: private consultant posts

Post by Spatch » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:17 pm

While I agree with the idea of collective bargaining in general, I would also add my own issue around the whole A4C agenda; the idea that workers become interchangable cogs in a machine rather than individuals with institutional knowledge, experience and aptitudes.

The heart of A4C is the idea that "It's the role, not the person" goes against pretty much everything I have come to understand essential in clinical rapport, ability and client outcome. Time after time it IS the person, not the role that makes all the difference. I think the A4C implementation has led to people often feeling marginalised, demoralised and undervalued. It has also lead to huge resentment in people that are riding the tailcoats of their better performing professional peers as well.

Not that I have any better way, just thought I would kick this out there.
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Expe ... 00EQFE5JW/

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:58 pm

I actually quite liked the predecessor to A4C, the Whitley scales. There was an "A" grade scale, for practitioners, and "B" grade scale for consultants. They were massive scales, and people were appointed to three consecutive points within them, and this could be reviewed as necessary.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:24 pm

Me also. Seemed a logical system that could allow progression and reflect skills.

For what its worth my current job advert got as many, if not more, good quality applicants as previous NHS jobs have. This suggests that either the market is tough for applicants or my vacancy was particularly appealing, or a bit of both. It also suggests that the advertised pay was sufficient to attract good calibre applicants.

In terms of fairness of pay, I think the issue is much more evident in pre-qualifieds where the supply and demand situation is even more biased. For now the scarcity of qualified CPs means that their salary value is preserved.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

michael2806

Post by michael2806 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:46 am

I would also like to add that I do feel it's a false economy when A4C doesn't account for much negotiation or development within role. The point Spatch made regarding 'post not person' is one I agree with; I think Trusts are negatively affected when, as a result of a lack of opportunities to progress (for example in a band 7 role), CPs whom have gained experience of the department and have developed as a result of the resources around them (be these colleagues or training provided) often leave to greener pastures (granted this kind of fluid movement doesn't happen as much at the moment in the labour market in general, for understandable reasons). This is a shame and I can't help but feel that in the longer run, Trusts would benefit from retaining high quality staff.

I'm glad that you are managing to attract the interest of many high quality applicants Miriam. If I may ask about the scarcity of CPs which you highlighted however, I was under the impression (and I may be wrong) that actually the workforce is reaching saturation point, given that courses are producing higher numbers of CPs than ever before. In fact, one could potentially argue (though it is an arguement made on somewhat shaky ground) that observing international trends re. CPs role in healthcare in comparable healtcare systems e.g. Canada, Australia to a certain extent, the demand for our profession and therefore opportunities available will perhaps in the longer term increase, rather than the profession being in a good position 'for now'. Whether this opinion is affected by overly positive thinking and feelings of anxiety regarding the future is another question, but nontheless I think it's a point worth exploring.

BlueCat
Site Admin

Re: Negotiating pay - private consultant posts

Post by BlueCat » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:14 pm

There has been a post regarding this recently so I'm just bumping this up. May merge the threads shortly :)
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.