Reference cost me a job! Is this allowed?

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.
nomnom

Re: Reference cost me a job! Is this allowed?

Post by nomnom » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:28 pm

alexh wrote:Good luck with your interview. Keep The Faith :)
Thank you. I will try :)
'Forget what hurt you. But remember what it taught you'

nomnom

Post by nomnom » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:30 pm

Just thought to post a positive update on this situation and I am glad to say that the storm has finally come to an end. I have been offered a job that is probably better in terms of clinical work and future opportunities for me than the one that was withdrawn.

I have used the 'free' time to ground myself again, do some voluntary work and spend much needed quality time with family and friends. So, my lesson learnt from the last few months? Its that the darkness of the night has to end with the light of the day :D

Happy New Year :D

Nomnom

LIWY

Post by LIWY » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:32 am

Good news that you secured a better position in the end.

As far as legal action, I know it is not an issue for you now but it must be possible because these days you will be hard pushed to find any company in the private sector that will write character references as they fear being sued - this began in the States and came over here. Most companies will only write a reference that states what dates you worked for them and that you were not sacked. Most companies also ban anyone writing a reference other than HR. NHS is tremendously old fashioned in writing character references and allowing references to go out direct and not via HR. I know this because I temped in a recruitment company for FMCG sector quite a few years ago....

nomnom

Post by nomnom » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:46 pm

LIWY wrote:Good news that you secured a better position in the end.

As far as legal action, I know it is not an issue for you now but it must be possible because these days you will be hard pushed to find any company in the private sector that will write character references as they fear being sued - this began in the States and came over here. Most companies will only write a reference that states what dates you worked for them and that you were not sacked. Most companies also ban anyone writing a reference other than HR. NHS is tremendously old fashioned in writing character references and allowing references to go out direct and not via HR. I know this because I temped in a recruitment company for FMCG sector quite a few years ago....
Thank you :)

I agree - the NHS procedure is outdated and lacks credibility but until it is changed, I guess things like this will happen. In the end, all I got was "internal supervision will deal with this" from the Trust that the said manager works in. Nothing further. Maybe it was for the best because this position is really exciting but it was awful at the time.

Live and learn I suppose :)