Job offer, current employer, references and notice

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.
PolkaDot

Post by PolkaDot » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:16 pm

Hi I was looking for some advice. I'm currently a support worker with a charity and I have recently been given a verbal job offer for a support worker role in the NHS. I'm in a bit of a pickle as to when to tell my current employers I'm leaving. I understand that the NHS can take a while in giving you written offers and starting the process as to giving start dates etc.
The thing is, I've given my current employers name as a reference so I need to tell them soon so that I can get the reference to the NHS (that's if they agree to give me it).

I have a 4 week notice period so do you think I would be able to say to my boss that I've accepted an offer of a new job ( ask politely for a reference) but ask if I can work as normal and only hand in my notice 4 weeks in advance of my start date when I get it? Or will my employer be able to ask me to take my notice as soon as I tell them I have a new job?

I'm just worried they'll ask me to start working the notice straight away and I'll be basically unemployed for a while if my NHS start date takes a while!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

RossPsych

Post by RossPsych » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:44 pm

PolkaDot wrote:Hi I was looking for some advice. I'm currently a support worker with a charity and I have recently been given a verbal job offer for a support worker role in the NHS. I'm in a bit of a pickle as to when to tell my current employers I'm leaving. I understand that the NHS can take a while in giving you written offers and starting the process as to giving start dates etc.
The thing is, I've given my current employers name as a reference so I need to tell them soon so that I can get the reference to the NHS (that's if they agree to give me it).

I have a 4 week notice period so do you think I would be able to say to my boss that I've accepted an offer of a new job ( ask politely for a reference) but ask if I can work as normal and only hand in my notice 4 weeks in advance of my start date when I get it? Or will my employer be able to ask me to take my notice as soon as I tell them I have a new job?

I'm just worried they'll ask me to start working the notice straight away and I'll be basically unemployed for a while if my NHS start date takes a while!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)
Hi PolkaDot,

Personally I wouldn't mention anything until I had something in writing - I know from my most recent couple of jobs that employers have sent out a conditional contract following a verbal offer, which sets out terms of employment on the condition of successful reference checks, DBS checks etc...

I think this would be much more secure for you than letting your employer know from a verbal offer, and would avoid some of the panic should you have to work your notice straight away (as at least things are one step further down the line with the NHS's HR dept.)

Congratulations by the way!

PolkaDot

Re: Job offer, current employer, references and notice

Post by PolkaDot » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:01 am

Thanks for the reply and congrats Rosspsych!

I need to say to my current employers though due to me needing the reference. When I was given the verbal job offer I asked if I should inform my employer soon, as I wasn't wanting the NHS HR department contacting my boss before I did, and they said try and tell them a reference request will be sent out this side of christmas :?

I really wouldn't of mentioned anything until I had a start date but this reference is needed. I'm wondering now if they would take my voluntary work as a reference instead of my paid employment. Don't know if that's possible?!

I'm really confused as I've never been in this situation before. Just worried that I'll have no income for a month or so if they ask me to leave and I have a family and household to support :|

ell

Post by ell » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:48 am

I'm not sure they can actually ask you to work your notice straight away, and also not sure why they would. They might appreciate having the extra notice to start their recruitment process for your replacement.

mzvoker

Post by mzvoker » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:16 am

Hi,

I was in this situation a few months back. It's ok to verbally tell your employer that you will be leaving and to expect a reference request. At the same time I would also mention that you do not have a start date yet but will keep them informed. Once you have received your contract and start date from the NHS (ie once crb, references have been done) you can then give your current employer written notice of your resignation.

The bottom line is your notice period won't start until you officially resign in writing, so until you have done this your employer cannot make you start working your notice period.

Hope that helps! And congratulations on the new job!

Ruthie

Post by Ruthie » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:55 pm

You probably want to tell them ASAP because the NHS are likely to write them very soon asking for the reference and it is better that they hear it from you. You really don't need to worry, people know that support workers with psychology degrees look for other jobs and that you are only likely to be in post for a relatively short period of time so it won't be a surprise. The way I see it and the managers that I work with is that in that short period of time we get a very enthusiastic staff member who makes a big difference. As others have said you can hand in your formal notice when you have a formal offer of employment from the NHS which you won't get until you have had your references occupational health and criminal records checks through. Congratulations on the new job!
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken Him completely by surprise.

KettleChip

Post by KettleChip » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:50 pm

Thanks for this thread. Im in the same situation at the moment so this thread has reassured me re: NHS HR and having to tell my employer Im leaving before receiving a formal job offer :)