HCPC and therapy

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.
fireypants

HCPC and therapy

Post by fireypants » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:34 pm

Hi there

I was wondering what the implications would be of having psychotherapy on HCPC registration. As I understand it to register you need a medical reference. However, would being in long-term psychotherapy affect your ability to register/get a suitable medical reference?

Many thanks

daydreambeliever

Re: HCPC and therapy

Post by daydreambeliever » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:11 pm

The following link may be of interest to you:

http://www.hpc-uk.org/assets/documents/ ... racter.pdf

This links to the HCPC guidance on health and character for registrants. Registrants are required to declare information about their health to the HCPC if, and only if, it could affect their fitness to practice. My understanding is that part of being fit to practice is being able to reflect on your own health and how it affects your practice, and thus registrants are given responsibility for making a judgement on this themselves and completing a self-declaration accordingly. It used to be the case that you needed a health reference but this requirement has now been removed.

I don't have much knowledge of long-term psychotherapy and the implications of that for HCPC registration specifically, so would defer to someone more experienced on that.

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:29 pm

I didn't have to get a medical reference when I became a member.

hettie

Post by hettie » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:41 pm

I really don't think it would effect things unless there was a fitness to practice issue. Counselling Psychologists are required (as part of their training) to undertake personal therapy and they are all registered....

fireypants

Post by fireypants » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:36 pm

That's great, thank you.