Does supervisor of an AP need to be a practitioner?

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.
maven
Site Admin

Does supervisor of an AP need to be a practitioner?

Post by maven » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:17 pm

I've seen a description of the staff team at a charity, where there is an AP but no practitioner psychologists. It says the AP is supervised by an academic psychologist linked to the project and is mainly working with outcome data. The named academic is not HCPC registered. It make me feel a bit uncomfortable, but is this okay?
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

Pink

Re: Does supervisor of an AP need to be a practitioner?

Post by Pink » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:59 pm

The difficulty seems to be the title. If the post was for a 'research assistant' this would seem fine, but I agree with you that 'assistant psychologist' carries a more clinical implication. Back in the long ago days of my youth, the two AP posts I held were actually called 'Assistant Clinical Psychologist' on my payslip, so maybe 'Assistant Psychologist' doesn't have to be clinical/require clinical supervision? I'm not sure what the BPS guidelines say.

Sorry, probably not much help, just some musings. I can see why you're concerned.

bw

Pink
Kintsukuroi: 'to repair with gold'. the art of repairing pottery with gold or silver lacquer and understanding that the piece is more beautiful for having been broken.

@Sushipink22

Borrowed Cone

Post by Borrowed Cone » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:46 pm

I would say this was misleading over what is in fact an RA post, not an AP post. It feels ethically dubious more than anything, and probably not in keeping with the BPS guidelines on employing APs?

The Cone
"We can rebuild him. We have the technology. But I don't want to spend a lot of money..."

matt.berlin

Post by matt.berlin » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:47 pm

However, assistant psychologist isn't itself a protected title - so there isn't much that can be done. However, on a practical note I would wonder if they did have any clinical duties as well as the outcome monitoring who this would be supervised by.
Ordnung ist das halbe Leben ... aber die andere Hälfte ist viel schöner!

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:03 pm

Thing is....if you are assisting a psychologist, are you an assistant psychologist, or a psychology assistant? We've been here before, by the way, in 2010 viewtopic.php?t=9655

The old guidelines specified an "applied psychologist".........who knows!
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.