Australian trained Neuropsychologists - HPC Registration

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.
ausnp89

Australian trained Neuropsychologists - HPC Registration

Post by ausnp89 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:19 am

I wonder if there are any other Australian trained neuropsychologists out there who have tried to gain registration to practise in the UK via the HPC international route. Given that the term 'clinical neuropsychologist' is not currently a protected title within the UK, it is necessary to apply for registration to practise under the 'clinical psychologist' title given that this is the most closely aligned profession. However, the entire process has become incredibly frustrating, infuriating and isolating and I am hoping that there is somebody else out there who has gone through the same experience and can advise me whether there is any point in continuing with the application. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Pink

Re: Australian trained Neuropsychologists - HPC Registration

Post by Pink » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:45 am

Hi AusNP,

This thread might be of use to you?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10696&hilit=australia

warm wishes,

Pink
Kintsukuroi: 'to repair with gold'. the art of repairing pottery with gold or silver lacquer and understanding that the piece is more beautiful for having been broken.

@Sushipink22

ausnp89

Post by ausnp89 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:27 pm

Many thanks for your reply Pink. My problem however is that there are two training streams in Australia - you train either as a Clinical Psychologist or Clinical Neuropsychologist. In the UK however, you must first complete a Dpsych in Clinical Psychology before you are eligible to do a postgraduate qualification in Neuropsychology. As such, I am caught out in the respect that I have to apply to the HPC under the 'Clinical Psychology' title despite having trained as a 'Clinical Neuropsychologist'. I am just wondering if there is anybody else out there in such a position?

lizzabadger

Post by lizzabadger » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:55 pm

The Division of Neuropsychology are trying to change things (controversially) to be more like the Australian system. However this won't happen for a few years, if at all.

In the meantime I am afraid you have to slog through the statement of equivalence/lateral transfer or whatever it's called now, to get up to speed in all areas of clinical psychology. The BPS can advise you further. I know that lots of Australian neuropsychs have done it. However you may decide it's not worth it.

ausnp89

Post by ausnp89 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:13 am

Many thanks Lizzabadger, I really appreciate it. Yes, I think that it is most certainly going to be a long haul. The BPS doesn't appear to do the statement of equivalence any more given that the HPC has largely taken over registration. It's just a shame that the UK doesn't currently recognise what is actually great training in Australia. Hopefully this will improve in the future but I don't hold out much hope.