Health and Social Care Act-One year on

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.
Mogs84

Health and Social Care Act-One year on

Post by Mogs84 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:24 pm

Hi,

I was just wondering if any CPs/APs have been affected by the introduction of the Health and Social Care Act. I'd also be interested to see if you think that it has had any impact on patient care and services (specifically for mental health).

I currently work in a research role and personally do not feel like much has changed.

I'd really like to hear your thoughts on this as I cant really find much on the internet regarding implications for mental health.

Thanks

michael2806

Re: Health and Social Care Act-One year on

Post by michael2806 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:15 pm

My understanding is that things are still in the early stages with regards to GPs taking on the role of commissioners and that we are only beginning to see the effects now. My impression is that it has resulted in more positions arising in the private sector and charitable sector, as looking at job adverts for newly qualifieds I'm seeing a number and diversity of employers advertising vacancies that perhaps weren't around several years ago.

Mogs84

Post by Mogs84 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:53 pm

Thanks Michael. Glad someone saw this post!!

So what you're saying is that you feel you may have benefitted from it as there are now more job opportunities? How would you feel working for a private/charitable service?

Also, do you think that we will see much change to the service that patients receive? I just cant seem to get any kind of feedback!

michael2806

Post by michael2806 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:24 pm

I suppose all I would say is that whereas the majority of services were previously provided in the NHS before, there is now a greater diversity of employers on offer; I don't know whether there are more opportunities now than before though. I also think more and more clinical psychologists are happy to consider working privately, either as an adjunct to their NHS jobs, or full time. Again, these don't reflect any personal views on my part in terms of the ethics or professional ramifications of these decisions, but are simply my observations from the last several years whilst this government has been in power.

I think in terms of job opportunities, we may see terms and conditions, and salaries change markedly, as they may be pegged much more to market forces e.g. supply and demand, being able to demonstrate worth, and have an impact on clients and, if working privately, a company's bottom line. Lots of changes are occuring right now, but I'm reasonably confident CPs can rise the challenge and demonstrate their worth. All we need is confidence, to market ourselves well, and (in my opinion) unite behind the Royal College of Psychologists campaign, to ensure we have an effective, unified voice to support us in a changing world.