Applying under the 'double tick' scheme

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.
Holly_09

Applying under the 'double tick' scheme

Post by Holly_09 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:13 pm

Hello all,

I would really appreciate some help/advice.
I have just been diagnosed with a chronic auto immune condition. The nature of it is that it will flare up (which could be for months at a time) and then (hopefully!) go into remission with medications. This will be a lifelong condition, and as such will never be cured.

When I have a flare up, I tend to struggle with day to day activities, and it can take me longer to get anywhere due to exhaustion. However, hopefully when I am in remission, I should be fine apart from a strict diet.

I am wondering whether it is worth applying to jobs/clinical doctorate course under the double tick scheme? I'm in a total quandry, I don't want to get an interview or a place just based on the fact that I have ticked a box, however I have to realise the fact that this will affect my life to some extent.

What should I do?
Thanks for any help.

lingua_franca

Re: Applying under the 'double tick' scheme

Post by lingua_franca » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:00 pm

But being selected for interview isn't based on the fact that you've 'ticked a box', it's based on whether you meet the essential criteria. You still have to meet those criteria to be interviewed under the double-tick scheme. The scheme just recognises that disabled people may struggle to gain the same experience and qualifications as non-disabled people, not due to any deficiency on their part but for wider reasons. For instance, I know psych graduates who have moved house multiple times in order to chase relevant jobs - as a disabled person I would not be able to do that because every move means transferring my social care arrangements to a different authority and hiring a new support worker, and that's not feasible. The same with jobs involving long commutes. 'Ability to commute' is not one of the hallmarks of a good psychologist, but it often functions as an unwritten criterion, because so many grads end up travelling quite far afield to get the right experience - and this automatically leaves many disabled candidates at a disadvantage. I hope that clinical courses especially would understand this. I've never applied for the doctorate, but I always use the scheme to apply for jobs when the option is there, and I can say now that I have never been given a job just because of disability - people don't hand work out for pity. ;) I don't think you have anything to lose by using it.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

Holly_09

Post by Holly_09 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:05 pm

Thank you Lingua. I know I wouldn't automatically gain an interview, I suppose that I don't feel justified in using that option even though it can be a serious condition. I think a lot of it comes down to how I see myself before/after diagnosis if that makes sense?
:?

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:23 pm

That does make a lot of sense, especially for people with an acquired disability. I've been disabled since birth so this was never such an issue for me. It may take you time to adjust to having a diagnosis and to accept everything that the diagnosis entails. Just remember that you are still the same person as you were before the diagnosis - now you just have a better understanding of your symptoms and greater access to the support you need to go on doing all the things you want to do, like work or apply for courses. :)
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:58 pm

Hi
I have used this system both for jobs and the doctorate. I had a real ethical dilemma about using it and whether it was fair on other candidates.

All I can say from when I used it Is that I was never asked why I had used it neither was it was mentioned at all, as they say to everyone are there are adjustments that they need for the interview dayin the letter they send out. I also feel the outcome of the interview reflected my preformance not if I ticked a box. It is also worth mentioning double tick interviews are usually in addition to the alloted number for the doctorate so you aren't "taking" a interview of someone.

Hope that helps.