Foreign psychologists

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.
Asietta78

Foreign psychologists

Post by Asietta78 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:02 am

Hello,

I am a psychologist from France and I'd like to work in England.
I need some information about the registration process with the HCPC.

I will complete a PhD in Psychology in 6 months and I've already gained experience (3 years as a practitioner psychologist and 3 years as a trainee/assistant). In France, we only need Master's degree to practise.
Does anyone know what are the chances of a French psychologist with a PhD to be registered?

I will be very glad to receive your advices,

Best Regards

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
msrisotto

Re: Foreign psychologists

Post by msrisotto » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:59 pm

Hi,

Firstly - I have no idea, but I must say I am sceptical. If I were you, I would contact the BPS, they will be able to help.
They don't accept a Phd and work experience in the UK as sufficient qualification, but it will more probably depend on what your masters consisted of.

Loula

Post by Loula » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:15 pm

There is information for international applicants on the HCPC website here. The alternative if you don't meet eligibility would be to apply for UK clinical psychological training which you should be eligible for as an EU resident. However, it is very competitive and could potentially be difficult if you don't have any experience of the NHS or UK services.

Gilly

Post by Gilly » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:03 pm

hello

I think it would be best for you to contact the HCPC directly in regards to that, because depending on the training that you've done, will depend on what options might be avaliable to you.

For example, I know of a psychologist who trained in Australia, who before being able to register herself as a psychologist here, had to undertake 6 months working in Learning Disability, as this is an area that she had not previously worked in, but is part of the core competencies for UK psychologists.

However because training in this country is at a doctorate level, I dont know off hand what you may have to do to 'top-up' that qualification, or if you are able to at all.

good luck!
You're not calling for help, are you?! ;)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln.

Asietta78

Post by Asietta78 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:20 pm

Thank you so much to all of you:)
I've already contacted the HCPC. They told me that I have to collect all the information they need for the International Application Form but they can't tell me in advance if they will register me or not. It depends on my training and gained experience in France.
I can send my Application Form after the obtaining of my PhD degree (in January 2015) because they need all the information including the PhD degree.
That's why I am looking for someone who is or was in the same situation but I only found psychologists who have completed Master's degrees in their countries.
Do you think that even with a PhD degree from an European country, it will be difficult to register?

Thank you:)

Asietta78

Post by Asietta78 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:52 pm

Gilly,

The Australian psychologist you were talking about, do you know if she has completed a PhD degree or Master's degree in her country?

Thank you very much:)

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:17 pm

There is a difference between a PhD (a research doctorate) and a DClinPsy (an applied clinical doctorate) in the UK. Many people get PhDs in psychology here but are no more able to practise as a clinical psychologist than someone without a PhD. The only thing that allows you to be a practitioner is a doctorate specific to that purpose. If you come to the UK with a PhD from any other country they would need to check whether it covers the entire competencies and requirements of the applied practitioner doctorate, otherwise you'd need to top up, or it wouldn't be accepted as sufficient for practise here.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Asietta78

Post by Asietta78 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:50 pm

Thank you Miriam for your advice :)

Gilly

Post by Gilly » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:12 am

Asietta78 wrote:Gilly,

The Australian psychologist you were talking about, do you know if she has completed a PhD degree or Master's degree in her country?

Thank you very much:)
I cant remember, sorry!
You're not calling for help, are you?! ;)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln.

Asietta78

Post by Asietta78 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:48 am

Don't worry :)

Ellie

Post by Ellie » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:55 am

Hi

I have also a foreign qualification in psychology (on top of British BSc and MSc) and I managed to get the HCPC registration and can now practise as a Clinical Psychologist. The application process in stressful but worth doing properly as HCPC expects the applications to be as detailed as possible. Otherwise, you might be asked to complete practical placements. You need to demonstrate that you meet the standards of proficiency which can be found on the HCPC website. I wrote detailed descriptions of how I meet the standards and demonstrated this by submitting case studies and old coursework to demonstrate that I have the knowledge and experience required. The process took approximately 8 months but can be done faster if you are proactive with it. It's tough but worth pursuing. Good luck!

elenats

Post by elenats » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:07 pm

Ellie wrote:Hi

I have also a foreign qualification in psychology (on top of British BSc and MSc) and I managed to get the HCPC registration and can now practise as a Clinical Psychologist. The application process in stressful but worth doing properly as HCPC expects the applications to be as detailed as possible. Otherwise, you might be asked to complete practical placements. You need to demonstrate that you meet the standards of proficiency which can be found on the HCPC website. I wrote detailed descriptions of how I meet the standards and demonstrated this by submitting case studies and old coursework to demonstrate that I have the knowledge and experience required. The process took approximately 8 months but can be done faster if you are proactive with it. It's tough but worth pursuing. Good luck!
Hi
This is has given me a ray of hope ! I kind of knew what would be expected but I am hearing of more and more people who have taken an alternative route. It is always a pain to recognise any degree in another country, having done it once, it took 8 months, but I feel that when you are trying to gain practitioner status in the UK it is worthwhile. It is much preferable than doing another 3-4 years of training, even if you have to do placements or other qualifying procedures. And from what I understand the HCPC is very knowledgeable about how things work in each country, unlike other countries which are much more specific about qualifying criteria and do not always evaluate on an individual basis.
Καλό το παραμύθι σου αλλά δεν έχει δράκο..