Before or during? When should I resign?

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.
KettleChip

Before or during? When should I resign?

Post by KettleChip » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:48 pm

Hi guys,

Im after some advice please...

I have my annual review with my current employer next Tuesday, however last week I was offered a job as a Healthcare Assistant in a secure forensic mental health unit (woohoo!). Now Im in a quandry as to whether to wait until my review to tell my employer I will be leaving, or whether to ask to meet briefly tomorrow to tell them (Im thinking they might not want to hold my review once finding this out?!).

What to do? I feel bad having to tell them I am leaving :/

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated :)

Pinkcrocodile

Re: Before or during? When should I resign?

Post by Pinkcrocodile » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:27 pm

Congratulations on the job :)

If the new job is NHS I would recommend waiting until your annual review to speak to your manager, as it can be months until you get a start date following recruitment checks. You could then explain that while you're accepting the new job, you will not be handing your notice in until you have confirmation of a start date, so you can still have your annual review.

If it's not NHS then you could maybe consider contacting the recruitment department to see how long the average length of recruitment is, and then gauge from that whether to speak to your manager before the review.