nhs interview date in middle of holiday

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.
hettie

nhs interview date in middle of holiday

Post by hettie » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:37 pm

I've been asked to interview for a NHS post (hurrah!) that I am really keen on..... Problem is that the two interview dates are smack bang in the middle of our summer holiday. Has anyone had any luck changing an interview date (hopeful emoticon).....I realise that for interviewers they would much rather see everyone in a block and that they don't want to delay in making decisions...but I suppose it's worth asking?

hanb3

Re: nhs interview date in middle of holiday

Post by hanb3 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:52 pm

Errrrm...

I haven't known anyone change their interview date. I have known people explain their inability to attend in person and go on to request a Skype interview. My feeling on this is you've got more of a chance if you present them with a solution.

Good luck!

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:43 pm

I've had to return in the middle of a holiday to give evidence in court, so I sympathise, but I've never known an interview be postponed for the convenience of one candidate, particularly at the pre-qualified stage. So offering skype may be the best available alternative.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

midas

Post by midas » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:22 pm

I recently was offered an interview on a day that I had booked as leave as I was at a wedding hundreds of miles from the location of the interview! I called and explained my predicament and they were able to offer me a slot the day before. It was still a struggle to organise at 2 days' notice which was when they got back to me but I managed it, and they were flexible for me...I knew an AP who had the same situation but with a holiday and she managed to rearrange the date... however that was just one day earlier, not in a different week.

You might as well ask, the worst they can say is no!

OnACloud

Post by OnACloud » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:19 pm

This recently happened to my for an assistant post. I called to say I was on holiday and asked if they could interview me on a different day. Unfortunately they said they couldn't due to only having 2 days aside for the interview (both of which I was on holiday for). I still think it's worth asking, you have nothing to lose and you never know if they didn't recruit for any reason they may have you in mind :wink:

hettie

Post by hettie » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:11 pm

Thanks all, am fairly sure it will be a no..... But will tentatively ask.

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:21 am

I was asked this when I was interviewing. I honestly tried my very hardest to find an alternative date for the candidate, but the problem was, the interview panel was not just me. There were two of us. We needed to let the candidates know within a good timeframe, so couldn't do anything over a week after. We simply couldn't find a date where we were both free. Hope it works out for you, you never know, it is always worth asking!
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.