Royal college campaign and changes in the media

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.
michael2806

Royal college campaign and changes in the media

Post by michael2806 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:08 am

Hi everyone,

I just thought I would quickly put a thread out to find out what is happening with the Royal College of Psychologists campaign? Things have been very quiet recently and I haven't received any updates about it on my e-mails. What is going on, has the campaign lost momentum and been abandoned?

On a related note, I hope it hasn't, as I don't know whether it's just my own confirmation bias, but I've been noticing that there has been a change in the media recently in relation to how mental health issues are being discussed. Especially given the tragic, recent death of Robin Williams, I've noticed quite a few discussions in the media about mental health. These have worryingly seemed to near exclusively talk about mental health from a biomedical perspective; more than used to be the case. There have been lots of psychiatrists in the media talking about mental health problems as a physical illness or brain disease, with one expert recently saying that it is largely caused by genetic defects. I was wondering whether anyone else has noticed this?

I hope the campaign hasn't stopped, as it seems that there is a need for a more balanced perspective to be offered to the public, now more than before.

bluegoat

Re: Royal college campaign and changes in the media

Post by bluegoat » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:28 am

I was thinking the same the other day actually; have you had a look on their website?

http://www.rcpsychol.com

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:33 am

Well the big news for the Royal College Campaign was that the leader of it, Jamie Hacker Hughes, was elected BPS president! So I hope there will be much movement ahead, but with such a big unwieldy (and dare I say unwilling) behemoth, it will be hard to move!

As to visibility in the media, the BPS are always trying to get people to step forward, and they even offer free media training, but very few registered psychologists want to do it!
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

michael2806

Post by michael2806 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:34 pm

Hi Bluegoat, yes I did have a quick peek at their website. I didn't see any more recent updates. The last bit of activity on the website was the campaign response to the BPS letter in the psychologist magazine some time ago.

Thank you for the update Miriam, that is very good news. I agree that the task will be difficult. As a relatively new member of the profession, I feel very strongly that this is a healthy (and necessary) direction of travel for the profession, in order to ensure that our voices are heard and services are shaped in ways that will benefit the population. As and when I get more established in my career, I would be (dare I say it) willing and happy to volunteer myself to advocate for the profession in the media. I wasn't aware the BPS offered media training, so that will definetely be something I will look into a bit further down the road. Thanks!

BenJMan

Post by BenJMan » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:42 pm

miriam wrote:Well the big news for the Royal College Campaign was that the leader of it, Jamie Hacker Hughes, was elected BPS president! So I hope there will be much movement ahead, but with such a big unwieldy (and dare I say unwilling) behemoth, it will be hard to move!
See that is what always worried me really. I would have much preferred the establishment of a new Royal College with no hang ups from the old BPS system. I don't think turning the BPS into a Royal College will change anything.. just the name. All the internal structures and systems that I don't believe work very well, will remain the same. With perhaps a slightly increased ability to lobby in public.
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people ~ Maya Angelou.