Any success for tax refund while training?

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.
eponymous85

Re: Any sucess for tax refund while training?

Post by eponymous85 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:43 pm

Keyser_Soze wrote:I've just submitted an application for a rebate. A friend has just received his, and overall it took about 6 months from start to finish.
his acknowledgement or rebate?
The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by any invader. The mind is a complex and many layered thing.

Keyser_Soze

Post by Keyser_Soze » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:37 pm

His rebate. Came in with his usual pay.

eponymous85

Post by eponymous85 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:22 pm

Amazing!
The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by any invader. The mind is a complex and many layered thing.

astra

Post by astra » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:14 pm

I've just sent off for this - training was a financial struggle for me (half of it was pre Agenda for Change) and I was paying for full time nursery throughout but didn't qualify for any sort of tax credits at the time due to the other half's salary, but nursery cost me more than I earnt in the first year! Hope I get a little bit back one day!!!
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn

bearbee

Post by bearbee » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:35 am

Hi,

If it is in relation to scholarships then the Union letter is read not as the first £15 480 are tax free but it is the maximum you need to have earned that financial year. Per the tax policy this is the amount that it would have been considered as a scholarship.
Does anyone know if you can get a refund if your minimal pay while being full time trained by the NHS was more than the £15k? or got one already?

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:39 am

bearbee wrote:Hi,

If it is in relation to scholarships then the Union letter is read not as the first £15 480 are tax free but it is the maximum you need to have earned that financial year. Per the tax policy this is the amount that it would have been considered as a scholarship.
Does anyone know if you can get a refund if your minimal pay while being full time trained by the NHS was more than the £15k? or got one already?
I read it as the first £15k you earn should not have been taxed. I think this is correct, given that there are some success stories of people who completed clinical training getting a rebate, and the salary for trainee posts exceeds £15k.

bearbee

Post by bearbee » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:41 am

lakeland wrote:
bearbee wrote:Hi,

I read it as the first £15k you earn should not have been taxed. I think this is correct, given that there are some success stories of people who completed clinical training getting a rebate, and the salary for trainee posts exceeds £15k.

I so hope you are right! :D

bearbee

Post by bearbee » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:47 am

Keyser_Soze wrote:His rebate. Came in with his usual pay.

So the refund comes from the NHS trust not as tax refund from HMRC - with a cheque through the post :)

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:03 am

bearbee wrote:
Keyser_Soze wrote:His rebate. Came in with his usual pay.

So the refund comes from the NHS trust not as tax refund from HMRC - with a cheque through the post :)
It's still a refund from HMRC, but they'll have just applied in through your salary. It's not for the Trust to pay.

Keyser_Soze

Post by Keyser_Soze » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:18 am

Yes that's correct, it's from the HMRC, but the rebate is refunded via BACS, with your usual pay (so one very nice paycheck if you're lucky!).

I submitted by application about 3 weeks ago, I'll let you all know if I get anywhere with it.

bearbee

Post by bearbee » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:26 am

Keyser_Soze wrote:Yes that's correct, it's from the HMRC, but the rebate is refunded via BACS, with your usual pay (so one very nice paycheck if you're lucky!).

I submitted by application about 3 weeks ago, I'll let you all know if I get anywhere with it.

Fab! fingers crossed

Bubbly

Post by Bubbly » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:50 pm

I wonder if there is a possibility of changing your tax code during training, so you are taxed less! I am going to give it a go once I start training in Sept and write a letter to HMRC, showing evidence of placement 3 days per week during term time. Hmm :? :?:

rabbit

Post by rabbit » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:43 pm

Any thoughts on if this effects current trainee's then? If it does please could someone explain how we would go about arranging it?

Thanks
The time will come when men such as I will look on the murder of animals as they now look on the murder of men. (Leonardo da Vinci)

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:04 am

My guess is that this was a particular scheme that ran for a particular time period, that is no longer running any more (from September 1999, to March 2013). I'm assuming that it would no longer apply to anyone being seconded for training, including nurses / AHPs, as well as psychologists. But I could be wrong!

faz121

Post by faz121 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:55 pm

Just read this and will be writing to HMRC so thank you OP!

I was wondering if people had enclosed a photocopy of their DClinPsy award certificate (at the end of training) as proof of student status? And photocopies of payslips?

Thank you!