Any success for tax refund while training?

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.
astra

Re: Any sucess for tax refund while training?

Post by astra » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:28 pm

It was purely an NHS scheme. I think the Unite info on it stated that explicitly.
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
BenJMan

Post by BenJMan » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:54 am

Call yesterday to confirm they are processing my application and i should hear about NI within 3 weeks, tax within 16. Took a complaint email to raise that I had been waiting initially since Feb 2015 (with some negotiating with trust inbetween), but finally movement!
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people ~ Maya Angelou.

Loula

Post by Loula » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:58 pm

workingmama wrote:Still no, after applying November 2013 and December 2015. Spouse applied again Jan 2016. Sigh.
That's very frustrating. Are they giving you any reason why?

workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:59 am

Yes. We applied for tax credits for having children and working as we were 'working', not 'training' (we paid tax and NI etc). Now that we see that we were 'training', we shouldn't have got tax credits. My application triggered a tax credit review of what we had got in one year (we told them we shouldn't be getting it anyway), and they sent us a letter telling us that we were being 'investigated'. That investigation still has not been processed, and until it has, the team won't send the HMRC tax team the permission to process my tax refund claim. Also, my form has been 'lost', and all documentation that I send (by recorded delivery) 'does not arrive'.
Fail, fail again, fail better.

workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:05 am

Grumph. :x

Llamas

Post by Llamas » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:36 pm

Hi,

Does anyone have any idea how this scheme will affect trainees starting in September? We will just not have to pay tax and NI whilst we train or will we still have to go through all of this after training to try and claim it back?

BenJMan

Post by BenJMan » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:10 pm

Llamas wrote:Hi,

Does anyone have any idea how this scheme will affect trainees starting in September? We will just not have to pay tax and NI whilst we train or will we still have to go through all of this after training to try and claim it back?
It will depend how far along the process your trust are. So I know current Manchester trainees have had their tax code changed so they are just not paying tax and NI, but some trusts (Lancaster for example) are still saying trainees are not eligible, so will be planning for them to pay tax and NI as normal. Probably worth asking the question to your course.
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people ~ Maya Angelou.

workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:54 pm

Newcastle refund the tax and NI as you go along, so those starting in September will get their full whack as they go through. Hope this helps someone.

Loula

Post by Loula » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:57 pm

workingmama wrote:Yes. We applied for tax credits for having children and working as we were 'working', not 'training' (we paid tax and NI etc). Now that we see that we were 'training', we shouldn't have got tax credits. My application triggered a tax credit review of what we had got in one year (we told them we shouldn't be getting it anyway), and they sent us a letter telling us that we were being 'investigated'. That investigation still has not been processed, and until it has, the team won't send the HMRC tax team the permission to process my tax refund claim. Also, my form has been 'lost', and all documentation that I send (by recorded delivery) 'does not arrive'.
Sounds like a right mess, and surely you are not unique in this position? Maybe one for an MP letter? I know there seems to be a spate of people getting their MP to chase up everything which I don't necessarily agree with if it's being processed albeit slowly, but in your case it seems like a clear case of a muddled up system that isn't being handled very well (and sounds incredibly stressful).

persephone56

Post by persephone56 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:53 am

Is this only open to those who have worked in the NHS prior to beginning training, or is it open to all trainees, regardless of background?

Loula

Post by Loula » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:08 am

persephone56 wrote:Is this only open to those who have worked in the NHS prior to beginning training, or is it open to all trainees, regardless of background?
All trainees. The initial confusion was because you have to be employed by the NHS (ie as a trainee) to do the course, so we are all eligible. I didn't work the couple of months before training and have been told I'm getting my NI back

persephone56

Post by persephone56 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:41 am

Loula wrote:
persephone56 wrote:Is this only open to those who have worked in the NHS prior to beginning training, or is it open to all trainees, regardless of background?
All trainees. The initial confusion was because you have to be employed by the NHS (ie as a trainee) to do the course, so we are all eligible. I didn't work the couple of months before training and have been told I'm getting my NI back
Thanks Loula! That's great news :). I got confused by this bit in the OP:
The claimant must have been:
1. an existing NHS employee when starting the training scheme
I'm going to assume that UEA are going to deduct tax as usual, leaving us to reclaim it, but I'll definitely check with them.

alexh

Post by alexh » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:34 am

It is the employing trust that pay you and who deducted tax and NI, not UEA. The trust's payroll dept will likely be familiar with WAT from the other training courses covered.

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:25 am

I've sat with this for a while, but please can someone correct the typo in the title? :lol:

workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:29 am

lakeland wrote:I've sat with this for a while, but please can someone correct the typo in the title? :lol:
Please don't. I want to see how long Lakeland can go without actually bursting. :lol: