Any success for tax refund while training?

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.
eponymous85

Re: Any sucess for tax refund while training?

Post by eponymous85 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:46 pm

I sent my p60's for the time covering training and a letter from the student office confirming my registration & dates. Unfortunately I think they wanted originals.
The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by any invader. The mind is a complex and many layered thing.

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:53 pm

Just to update people on some news I've heard - Apparently there are only 3 people in the team dealing with refunds, who have since been seconded to another project until July. If you're submitting now, they're saying it'll be 9-12 months before you hear anything. So don't plan on getting the money back soon.

Bubbly

Post by Bubbly » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:29 pm

lakeland wrote:My guess is that this was a particular scheme that ran for a particular time period, that is no longer running any more (from September 1999, to March 2013). I'm assuming that it would no longer apply to anyone being seconded for training, including nurses / AHPs, as well as psychologists. But I could be wrong!
Maybe this link is relevant?? EIM06237 - Employment income: scholarship income: Statement of Practice 4/86: academic years commencing on and after 1 September 2007. http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/EIM06237.htm

Shell

Post by Shell » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:35 am

Thank you for the updates everyone! This is really useful to know.

Is there a phone number that I could call?

The number I have is always busy and I'm not sure if the most appropriate one.
I sent in an application end of last year, and wanting to discuss it with them.

hexaflex

Post by hexaflex » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:07 pm

i started the thread after sending my application in the HMRC in December 2014 along with copies of my doctorate certificate, P60s from training, letter from uni confirming I was a full-time student during the dates I'm claiming for and a copy of my marriage certificate for change of name.

It's been a throughly frustrating process. I hadn't heard anything so phoned HMRC...was put through to the dept and posted an update on here about them being overwhelmed by applications and told to phone back in a couple of months. waited...phoned back, now the number is permanently busy and cuts out. Told by HMRC that the small team has now been centralised but they can't find my application on the system (I know they received it because it was sent recorded delivery and the original small team confirmed they's registered it). have phoned HMRC twice further and no one seems to know anything about the scheme or the team who dealt with it. It's now been passed to the 'back room' staff to chase and contact me within 10 days. Someone else mentioned the staff dealing with claims had been seconded until July....it might be a very long wait!

Ct587

Post by Ct587 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:11 am

I also submitted the application back in December. Have chased it on the phone and been told it will be "months". Recently tried phoning again, and number was engaged. Phoned standard HMRC line. They could tell I had been in contact about a claim, but seemed surprised it was taking so long. Someone just phoned me back this morning to say that all they could do is give me the number for the widening access department. The same one I had. Which is still engaged. Would be great to know for sure what the likelihood is of a refund, and from those who may already have had a refund, how much they got.

hexaflex

Post by hexaflex » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:34 am

Ct587 wrote:I also submitted the application back in December. Have chased it on the phone and been told it will be "months". Recently tried phoning again, and number was engaged. Phoned standard HMRC line. They could tell I had been in contact about a claim, but seemed surprised it was taking so long. Someone just phoned me back this morning to say that all they could do is give me the number for the widening access department. The same one I had. Which is still engaged. Would be great to know for sure what the likelihood is of a refund, and from those who may already have had a refund, how much they got.
This is what happened to me. I've phoned HMRC twice about the widening access dept number not working and they responded by letter, giving me the same number I already had which is always engaged! I have now wrote a complaint letter to HMRC about the delay and them not being able to locate my claim on their system. Hopefully that might move things along. I would also like to know if anyone has received a refund yet under this scheme for when they were in clinical training or if anyone has received a response from HMRC saying they didn't qualify?

astra

Post by astra » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:13 pm

I sent an application in fairly recently and have heard nothing yet. I was hoping to hear some more positive news from those of you who put yours in sooner! Sounds a bit of a shambles!!
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:45 pm

I'm just trying to be fairly positive about it - I didn't know I was entitled to the money (I still don't know if I am), so I wasn't relying on it for anything. If / when I get it, it'll be a nice bonus.

Seems like there's zero point chasing it up presently anyway, given that there's no one in the department for another month.

Ct587

Post by Ct587 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:40 pm

Well we will just have to be patient... I got quite optimistic when someone posted above about their friend who had got their refund in their salary payment six months after applying. I'll try not to be too disappointed if I just get a standard pay on Friday...

astra

Post by astra » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:18 am

Fair point lakeland, I only found about it as a possibility here, and decided it was worth a go, so it would be a bonus that I had not previously been aware of. It would be a lovely boost to the savings/holiday fund though!
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:31 am

astra wrote:Fair point lakeland, I only found about it as a possibility here, and decided it was worth a go, so it would be a bonus that I had not previously been aware of. It would be a lovely boost to the savings/holiday fund though!
Definitely - I saw pound signs in my eyes when I first heard about it, and planned some DIY - maybe next year!

astra

Post by astra » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:43 pm

I don't know if this constitutes "progress" but I received my payslips back with a note saying my application has been forwarded to the relevant department and they have taken copies of my documents. What I took from that is that there is a relevant department, it might even be staffed, and I was not told "No" straight off. I'm feeling hopeful - sort of!

hexaflex

Post by hexaflex » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:44 pm

I received a letter from HMRC in relation to my claim, which i think a lot of you will be receiving as it looks quite standard. It asks that I contact my previous employer and ask them to e-mail HMRC for a schedule to complete my details and confirm my student status. I already included proof from the university of my years of study and full-time student status which HMRC have helpfully included the details of in the letter back to me :roll: - if they already have it, why do they need my previous employer to confirm it?

I phoned my previous employer's payroll dept who knew nothing about tax rebates for students and said HMRC already have all the info they need to action a rebate. I'm faxing a copy of the letter from HMRC with a covering letter to my previous employer for them to action.

As an aside, a colleague contacted her previous employer who was much more helpful than mine and seemed to have some knowledge of the widening access rebates. She was told that the rebates used to take 9 months but now may take longer bacause the team who deals with them at HMRC has been disbanded and the work is being done by overtime hours! :shock: :evil:

lorwilko

Post by lorwilko » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:30 pm

Hi
I applied for this end of last year still not heard anything. Could someone please tell me the number to call so I csn contact them?
Thanks in advance