Any success for tax refund while training?

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.
BenJMan
Team Member

Re: Any sucess for tax refund while training?

Post by BenJMan » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:41 am

hexaflex wrote:I received a letter from HMRC in relation to my claim, which i think a lot of you will be receiving as it looks quite standard. It asks that I contact my previous employer and ask them to e-mail HMRC for a schedule to complete my details and confirm my student status. I already included proof from the university of my years of study and full-time student status which HMRC have helpfully included the details of in the letter back to me :roll: - if they already have it, why do they need my previous employer to confirm it?

I just recieved this letter through the post, about 6 months after sending my application. I think what I gather from the letter is that the letter from my uni confirming student status, plus my payslips etc is not enough to confirm it.. probably because you could be employed and a student at the same time, so the employer has to confirm it was a student/work type thing. Irritating.
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people ~ Maya Angelou.

BenJMan
Team Member

Post by BenJMan » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:01 pm

Just additionally, I had a mire careful read of the letter and they refer me to the guidance for tax exemption on bursaries and scholarships, no mention is made of the nhs scheme that is the foundation for all this. They ask if we meet the criteria for bursaries and scholarships as set out on a guidance web page they have, which we clearly don't as it's completely different from the nhs scheme thing that we are working from.

Confusing! Gonna email them to try to get more clarity.
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people ~ Maya Angelou.

MissScarlett

Post by MissScarlett » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:09 pm

I sent a complaint letter when I didnt get a response to my earlier letters containing all my info and got a response quite quickly following this...

They told me it was actually the responsibility of the employing trust to process these claims (not them as advised by HMRC), and that should be your first port of call.

Llogue

Post by Llogue » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:37 pm

Hi all
I've received a refund of national insurance for this scheme just today by cheque and they are writing to me separately with details of tax refund due. I trained between 2008-2011 and sent evidence to HMRC that my Trust were not supporting our claims. This means they went ahead and processed my claim as an individual (as they are trying to liaise with NHS rather than individuals where possible). This is possible and we are due refunds. It's a substantial amount of money we are getting refunded so I would say submit a claim as there is nothing to lose!

BenJMan
Team Member

Post by BenJMan » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:46 pm

Llogue wrote:Hi all
I trained between 2008-2011 and sent evidence to HMRC that my Trust were not supporting our claims. This means they went ahead and processed my claim as an individual (as they are trying to liaise with NHS rather than individuals where possible).
Awesome, well done, could you tell us what evidence your trust provided that they weren't supporting it?

Llogue

Post by Llogue » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:38 pm

I emailed the Head of Payroll and enquired if they were submitting claims on behalf of past Trainees. They replied by email and stated they didn't see the cost / benefit and so wouldn't be submitting on or behalf but they would supply payslips and P60s. So I printed the email off and sent it across to the Widening access team as evidence I had approached my Trust and this was their response (and so could they now process my claim individually). I'd recommend getting something in writing even by email from your Trust if they are not submitting for you.

hexaflex

Post by hexaflex » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:24 pm

Someone got a refund! Yay!

From the dealings I've had with HMRC, the message i've been getting is that employers have to submit the claim on our behalf as the first step (unless we have evidence that they won't support us, then HMRC will process an individual claim). The info that they have to submit is basically the same info as I've already sent but it has to come from my previous employer. Personally I think it's HMRC getting NHS payroll departments to do the leg work, and given my previous NHS Trust had no clue about widening access and hadn't heard about it, it's a good job UNITE sent the flyer out.

I too sent a complaint letter to HMRC and was told the widening access team were supposed to be phoning me back. I've received a response from neither the complaint or the team :evil:

My previous trust submitted my info at the end of July (despite my original claim letter to HMRC in January), so I'm thinking it's gonna be a long wait before I see any money. I'm almost wishing my previous Trust wouldn't support the claim as it seems individual claims are much quicker....ho hum :cry:

Nephthys

Post by Nephthys » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:15 pm

Does anyone know if this applies across all of the UK? I'm based in Scotland and wonder if this is the same for those of us who studied up here?

Lkw

Post by Lkw » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:03 am

I am one of four that I know of from the same trust in line for the refund. A couple of the girls I know have both received letters stating that they are entitled but the the national insurance, but the national insurance and tax refunds will be two separate payments. But they have received confirmation of the national insurance refund!!! Yay!!! :D

hexaflex

Post by hexaflex » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:28 pm

Sorry, I'm not sure about the Scottish query but I'd suggest you contact your employer from when you were a trainee and ask them to make the claim on your behalf. They need to e-mail nhswat.mailbox@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk and request a schedule on which to record your details. If it doesn't apply to Scotland I'm sure HMRC will let you know (eventually!) and you've lost nothing by trying.

Can I ask those that have got a refund (or confirmation they will be receiving one), how long it took from submitting the claim (if done by employer) or responding to HMRC with evidence they're employer wasn't supporting them and receiving the refund/confirmation letter?

My employer submitted my info to HMRC on 30th July and I'm wondering how long it's likely to be before I hear anything/receive a refund.....I'm getting so inpatient (and have a holiday to pay for!)

Thanks.

Shell

Post by Shell » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:40 pm

I know my workplace have emailed the email address stated. Do you have any idea how long before HMRC emailed back with the schedule?

I'm pleased for those successful with the refunds! :)
Giving me hope for my own application. Shame it is such a slow process and feels like a fighting battle.

Thank you for everyone with their information so far

Lkw

Post by Lkw » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:17 pm

Hi, the trust that I work for sent the information on my behalf in February, so looks like it's a long haul if confirmation letters for only part of it are only just being sent out. The letter I received said that they would write separately if I was due a tax refund as well, so am guessing that part is still being "decided". I've come to terms with the fact that it won't be sorted out before Christmas, so if it does come before then it's a bonus.

Llogue

Post by Llogue » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:52 pm

I claimed as an individual and so far have successful NI refund but awaiting confirmation of the tax refund.
Submitted application February
Submitted evidence that NHS weren't helping me in May
Received confirmation of application in July
Received letter confirming NI refund in August

Hope that helps. It seems they are working on February applications but if they have asked you for more information (eg whether your NHS trust are helping) then your application will likely be on hold until you provide more evidence. When they have the evidence it seems they confirm with you by letter and then the process of refund for NI occurs around 4 weeks or at least that's my experience!

Shell

Post by Shell » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:45 am

Thanks everyone. That has been really helpful so far :)

hexaflex

Post by hexaflex » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:38 pm

Thanks for all the info about timescales, it's really helpful.

I'm thinking it's probably going to be at least September before I hear anything about the NI component, and that's if I'm lucky. I know Sheffield told a collegue to expect 9 months from employers making a claim and hearing anything from HMRC. I'm just hoping that because they're had my claim a while and asked for further info from my previous employer, it won't be 9 months from July!

I keep telling myself patience is a virtue...I'm just not very virtuous! :oops: