Any success for tax refund while training?

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.
hexaflex

Re: Any sucess for tax refund while training?

Post by hexaflex » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:43 pm

Shell wrote:I know my workplace have emailed the email address stated. Do you have any idea how long before HMRC emailed back with the schedule?
It took HMRC a couple of weeks to respond to the e-mail from my Trust. I think the Trusts seem to send claims in batches to HMRC which might have delayed my claim another week or so. HMRC do seem to be responding to e-mails from trusts, they're just a bit slow. :roll:

Lkw

Post by Lkw » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:28 am

I've had a refund!!! Got the NI cheque in the post today after recieving the confirmation letter last week! Hopefully yhe tax part won't be too far behind, but for now this is good enough!! :D

Friendlyface

Post by Friendlyface » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:04 am

Is it cheeky to ask how much?? Just want to know if I am way of the mark in terms of my expectations! No worries if you don't want to share.

theprimeagur

Post by theprimeagur » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:43 am

My cohort have had disappointing news on this. Last week a standard email was sent to those asking for our trust to apply for us, saying that as we received a salary under contract rather than a bursary towards studying we were ineligible... and they have told HMRC this.

I called payroll at the trust and asked how can this be the case for us when all dclin psych trainees are surely on the same contracts, salaries etc at the same time with A4C? Someone got back to me yesterday to say none of us on salaried contracts are eligible (she said in England). So basically repeated the email.

I'm hoping that this is just our trust's view and that HMRC won't refuse our claims on their say so!

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:19 am

theprimeagur wrote:My cohort have had disappointing news on this. Last week a standard email was sent to those asking for our trust to apply for us, saying that as we received a salary under contract rather than a bursary towards studying we were ineligible... and they have told HMRC this.

I called payroll at the trust and asked how can this be the case for us when all dclin psych trainees are surely on the same contracts, salaries etc at the same time with A4C? Someone got back to me yesterday to say none of us on salaried contracts are eligible (she said in England). So basically repeated the email.

I'm hoping that this is just our trust's view and that HMRC won't refuse our claims on their say so!
I'm finding all this increasingly frustrating. I know that some people have had refunds (on this thread and in real life), so surely the same rules apply to all (providing you meet the criteria as set out by HMRC)?

Llogue

Post by Llogue » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:14 pm

Hi all
The cheque for the NI part of the refund came through this week.
I am unsure what happens with the tax part as they have not sent confirmation only they will write to me separately.
I don't know if it helped but I sent a few complaint letters so that may have speeded things up? I also submitted recorded delivery and stated that in the letter.
It's the HMRC who decides whether or not you are entitled not your employer - you are still entitled to submit an individual cla direct to HMRC and just state you have approached your employer who have not offered any help.
Id also note in your letter that other doctoral trainees have also received refunds and therefore the refund should really be fair and equal for all. I know of a whole cohort of Newcastle doctoral trainees who had a refund, I also have and there seem to be a few individuals on this site also. They seem to only just be issuing the NI refunds at the moment.

I hope that in the next few months more and more tell of success stories rather than just a few. Although I have the cheque I'm worried they may ask for it back!!

hexaflex

Post by hexaflex » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:42 pm

I agree with Llogue. I'd apply as an individual claimant & provide proof your employer isn't supporting you. Ultimately it's for HMRC to decide whether we are eligible. How much we got paid (i.e. Over £15k) might be an issue but the statement of practice that the tax exemption relates to just says in these circumstances HMRC will need to look into it and decide. I have seen a list of exempt professional training where this tax exemption doesn't apply, but we weren't listed, so may be eligible.

Trainees are a funny group because yes we got a 'salary' but our employment was dependent on attending and passing university training. Therefore our situation is arguably different to other NHS employees and teaching days could Ben be considered some kind of day release. I don't think HMRC had a procedure or really understood the nature of our training so are possibly having to decide whether we are exempt under statement of practice 4/86 or not retrospectively.

I'd still give it a try....I'm hopefull that others have got a refund

theprimeagur

Post by theprimeagur » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:29 am

I applied in December and have had nothing, not even a letter, back from HMRC. It's only through colleagues in real life and you lovely people on here I'm in the loop. I once got through to the refunds room on the phone and they said they received my application. I submitted all the evidence I could and it seems the same as people on here. Then cohort friends said that we needed to go via our Trust and this is where I've got stuck!

Thanks both, I will write a further letter asking for them to process my refund separately and that my Trust won't help.

Surely it should be all of us or none of us from HMRC's perspective? Big congratulations to those who have been successful... Hopefully the rest of us will be right behind you!

astra

Post by astra » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:27 am

I've had a letter from HMRC telling me I need to get my Trust to apply on my behalf so I'm just doing that letter today. It feels like progress!
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn

hexaflex

Post by hexaflex » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:08 pm

Well, I received my letter from HMRC yesterday to say my trust have contacted them and I'm due a rebate of NI contributions which they'll send as a cheque (it's for nearly £3k!) and they'll deal with any possible tax rebate separately. It seems to be taking 4 weeks from trusts contacting them for HMRC to send this letter. I'm just waiting on the cheque....show me the money!!

leedspsy

Post by leedspsy » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:40 pm

theprimeagur wrote:My cohort have had disappointing news on this. Last week a standard email was sent to those asking for our trust to apply for us, saying that as we received a salary under contract rather than a bursary towards studying we were ineligible... and they have told HMRC this.

Hi, it's really useful to hear about everyone's experiences.
Primeagur, just wondered which course you trained on? I trained on Lancaster course and I have just been told something very similar by HR at the Trust I trained with, that we are not eligible for tax/NI refund as we were on contracts of employment (ie. we got the perks of employment contracts such as sick pay, pension option etc) rather than being on contracts for training, and apparently the Trust has told the HMRC this.
Would the people who have been successful in claiming back tax/NI please say which course you trained on and whether you had standard contracts ie. did you get sick pay, option to pay into a pension? As it might help to name which courses have been successful when I write to HMRC. thanks.
I think my only option is to put in an individual claim....

Llogue

Post by Llogue » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:30 pm

Hi all
Just an update - lots of people who have trained at Teesside and Newcastle are starting to get the full NI and tax refund. Some have had both cheques. I still have no tax but received NI cheque!! If your trust isn't supporting you, apply as an individual. The courses are all the same surely - it has to be equal!!

hexaflex

Post by hexaflex » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:01 am

I trained at Leeds and have a letter about NI contributions rebate. My colleagues trained at Sheffield and have been told they are eligible by payroll. Yes we were all salaried and on contracts BUT whilst we got NHS terms and conditions around sick pay etc our employment (unlike other salaried colleagues) was dependant on full-time education at university. I think that complicates things.

If your trust aren't supporting you, I would just apply directly to HMRC. I must admit I'm getting a bit worried about getting anything back if some trusts are telling HMRC we aren't eligible. Either all trainees are eligible or we're not, we were all employed on the same basis. Also the trusts who are saying we're not eligible are being pretty stupid as my understanding is they would get part of their NI contributions rebated too.

Are the people being told they're not eligible current or recent trainees? I'm wondering if something changed that meant they're not eligible. I know the scheme only applies up to 2013 so I'm guessing something has been changed for current trainees. If not, HMRC have set a precedent by rebating some of us. If they try to take the money back, me and some colleges will be taking legal action - HMRC had all the info (payslips etc) and 8 months to decide whether I'm eligible!

Ct587

Post by Ct587 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:48 pm

I applied back in December. Got a letter in July saying I needed to ask my trust to apply on my behalf. I tried contacting my trust who had heard nothing about it and bounced me between payroll and HR. As such incontacted HMRC and informed them my trust weren't progressing the claim on my behalf and requesting they proceed with it on an individual basis. I called them late last week and was told that a calculation had been completed for my National Insurance (to the tune of £2500) but it has to go to another department for both the tax to be calculated and the Nat Ins figure to be clarified in light of any tax credits etc. However they were unable to provide me with a date for when I could expect the second calculation and for a cheque to be issued...

psy02

Post by psy02 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:17 pm

I'm in the middle of doing this & wondered if anyone is claiming just their tax and not their national insurance? At the time I trained we only got over £15000 in the last half of my final year so I'm worried about the implications of having 2.5 years with no NI contributions. Should probably speak to an accountant but wondered if any of you had considered it?