Problems with regulation

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.
maven
Site Admin

Problems with regulation

Post by maven » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:40 pm

As we were discussing the other day, there are huge problems with the regulation of the profession. Here are some extracts from an article in the Sunday Times about serial liar and struck off psychologist David Ball (I won't use the title doctor as his claimed doctorate seems to have been purchased from a diploma mill) working as a psychologist without informing his employer he had been struck off:
Psychologist worked at hospital after being struck off for misconduct
A psychologist has been suspended after The Sunday Times discovered he was working as a senior manager at a mental health hospital and nursing home despite being struck off for misconduct and dishonesty.

David Ball was struck off as a “practitioner psychologist” by the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) in November after providing a fake reference and lying about qualifications and experience when he applied to be an expert witness psychologist.

The chairman who heard his case said striking him off was “the only way to protect the public” due to “the risk of repetition”....

But being struck off meant Ball was banned from using a “protected title”, which includes practitioner psychologist, registered psychologist and clinical psychologist.

Anyone using a protected title when not registered with the HCPC can be prosecuted and fined up to £5,000, but the British Psychological Society says those struck off can see patients if they simply call themselves a “psychologist”....

A spokeswoman said the hospital was unaware that he had been struck off...

Ball said he had not been informed by the HCPC that he had been struck off, adding: “This is news to me today.”

He insisted he was entitled to continue working as a psychologist. “Practitioner psychologist is terminology used by the HCPC. Psychologist is a terminology in our profession that they do not have any governance over and I am entitled to use that reference and title,” he said....

The British Psychological Society said... “Not only is there a real risk that services may be offered under similar but non-protected titles . . . but this also provides limited protection for the public.”

Ball’s LinkedIn profile also carries inaccuracies, including a claim that he worked for Buckinghamshire Healthcare Trust between September 2015 and January this year. The trust said it had no record of his being employed during those dates.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

astra

Re: Problems with regulation

Post by astra » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:04 pm

Highlights the inadequacies of the current system of regulation rather starkly! Shocking really!
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:33 pm

How arrogant of him too! Glad to see this getting some media attention - maybe some changes will come.

BlueCat

Post by BlueCat » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:47 pm

There's two big issues I have with HCPC regulation/protection of the public. One is the issue associated with this man - the fact that regulating nine very specific titles offers little to no protection to the public, since people outside the healthcare profession wont necessarily differentiate between a "child psychologist" / "school psychologist" and an "educational psychologist" or a "business psychologist" and an "occupational psychologist" or a "criminal psychologist" and a "forensic psychologist" or a "consultant psychologist" from a "clinical psychologist". All sound valid, only half of them are, and my next door neighbour (nice man, but no psychology education or training) could set himself up as a child/school/business/criminal/consultant psychologist (or any one of hundreds of possible titles that aren't regulated) tomorrow, with no regulation or comeback.

My other issue is that of supervision. There is no requirement for practitioner psychologists to seek or receive supervision. There is no recognition that this is integral to how we work/what we do. HCPC seem to see it as a sanction on poor practice, rather than a requirement for good practice.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:15 pm

My other problem, which I've mentioned before, is that you can be a court expert and be outside the auspices of the HCPC.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Gilly

Post by Gilly » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:25 am

its both infuriating and absolutely ridiculous that this is still an issue - and as he says, it doesn't matter to him if he gets struck off because he'll just use a non-protected title.
You're not calling for help, are you?! ;)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln.

Chalice

Post by Chalice » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:59 pm

And this is exactly what he's doing- still touting for business!

http://www.counselling-directory.org.uk ... rlock-ball

And the public are none the wiser!
------------------

You Don't Have To Be Great To Be Great