Future of clinical psychologists in NHS & private

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.
trainee1996

Future of clinical psychologists in NHS & private

Post by trainee1996 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:01 pm

Hi there. I've tried to find threads on this topic, but have little success.

I am due to start my training this year, and I guess I've just been worrying about the future of the profession. With NHS cuts in general, possible cessation of dclinpsy funding, IAPT services being seen as being sufficient etc., it appears to me like CPs might be 'priced out of the market' in a way, if that makes sense? This is not just limited to the NHS, but to private organisations, who may recruit a CBT worker rather than a CP.

What do you think will happen? :shock:

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
maven
Site Admin

Re: Future of clinical psychologists in NHS & private

Post by maven » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:45 am

Not concerned at all. There is way more demand for CPs than supply, and nobody with the doctorate who wants work can't find a job. There is plenty of work for people outside the NHS, and plenty of scope for a career within it. The profession is reorganising its professional representation and one of the goals on the agenda is to specify recommended safe levels of staffing per population for each major client group. Plus mental health funding is set to increase. If you are on training you've passed the main bottle neck, so this level of anxiety is not necessary. Just enjoy the course, and try not to get too preoccupied with things outside your locus of control.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

trainee1996

Post by trainee1996 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:36 pm

maven wrote:Not concerned at all. There is way more demand for CPs than supply, and nobody with the doctorate who wants work can't find a job. There is plenty of work for people outside the NHS, and plenty of scope for a career within it. The profession is reorganising its professional representation and one of the goals on the agenda is to specify recommended safe levels of staffing per population for each major client group. Plus mental health funding is set to increase. If you are on training you've passed the main bottle neck, so this level of anxiety is not necessary. Just enjoy the course, and try not to get too preoccupied with things outside your locus of control.
Hello, thanks so much for the reply!
I do wonder, though, what evidence suggests there is more demand for CPs than supply? That is the opposite of what the sources I've been reading have suggested.

Thanks a lot :)

astra

Post by astra » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:53 pm

There are jobs advertised in NHS all the time, may not be your choice of location or specialty, but there are jobs. There is a huge growth in demand for private psychologists too. I am now full time in private practice in a moderately deprived city and am turning work away as I don't have enough hours in the week to see everyone who needs to be seen, and I know there are other private psychologists locally too. Where psychology is not available in statutory services, those who can are seeking it out privately, often having been left disillusioned by what IAPT can offer. Forums of independent practitioners that I am involved in are very active, and no-one is feeling any anxiety about not having enough work. My guess is that by the time you've qualified, either the new money will have transformed the NHS offer and you'll have your pick of ideal jobs (cynical face emoji), or there'll be a host of thriving private practices around you that you could find work in as an associate. Really, just enjoy your training and think about becoming the Psychologist you want to be. Then in your third year you can start to think about looking for opportunities in a range of services and sectors.
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:41 am

trainee1996 wrote: Hello, thanks so much for the reply!
I do wonder, though, what evidence suggests there is more demand for CPs than supply? That is the opposite of what the sources I've been reading have suggested.

Thanks a lot :)
More jobs than people to apply for them. More work than I know what to do with. Difficulties recruiting CPs to fill vacancies. Minimal unemployment in the profession. All objective facts show that there is no issue with finding work as a CP. So I'd say your sources aren't reliable.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

Spatch

Post by Spatch » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:11 am

Hi there. I've tried to find threads on this topic, but have little success.

I am due to start my training this year, and I guess I've just been worrying about the future of the profession. With NHS cuts in general, possible cessation of dclinpsy funding, IAPT services being seen as being sufficient etc., it appears to me like CPs might be 'priced out of the market' in a way, if that makes sense? This is not just limited to the NHS, but to private organisations, who may recruit a CBT worker rather than a CP.
While I generally agree with maven and Astra I would be a more nuanced about the future.

For those psychologists that want to primarily do therapy and little else there is limited future progression than before. There are fewer consultant posts and making the jump up from band 8a is tricky. The job market has also gone from "radical under supply" to "balanced" which means you can't necessarily expect your preferred speciality in your ideal location.

However, there is ironically more scope for the "psychology" part of clinical psychology. Definitely more interest and opportunities in the supervision, training, evaluation, audit, and service development aspects of the role than before. More avenues outside the NHS, and more are pursuing independent working. My experience is that It's less of following an established track than before and instead making your own opportunities.

I do think that having a group that represents our personal interests is desperately needed though, to address some of those points you raise. Though there are overlaps with other therapists, the differences need to be spelt out to potential stakeholders if we are going to make inroads into new areas.
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Expe ... 00EQFE5JW/