BPS membership's a bit pointless?

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.
ManonFire

BPS membership's a bit pointless?

Post by ManonFire » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:30 am

I've been looking at some of the memberships on there and came across the Associate Fellow AFBPsS grade. Can't see what the benefit of it would be except for possibly showing your experience off to other psychologists in written correspondence. Not that many of them would know what it means!

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Gilly

Re: BPS membership's a bit pointless?

Post by Gilly » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:24 pm

Its a regular thought for people, and I suppose it depends what you want from your membership - I know that many people working in private practice value the chartered (CPsychol) status, alongside the Associate Fellow status because of some of the recognition and status that those titles enshrine, and access to the directory of chartered members - which may be less relevant to other members (and really not something that would impress that many people!).

Being a BPS/DCP member also means that you also have access to reduced cost CPD - so if you are in a place with good CPD links (e.g. London) than that can be really quite useful as well. The rest of the benefits...well, bit hit and miss personally.
(https://beta.bps.org.uk/sites/beta.bps. ... 202017.pdf)

It used to be that people felt they were supporting the wider psychological workforce whilst being part of the BPS - especially through the DCP, but I think that's an attitude which isn't really filtering down anymore.
You're not calling for help, are you?! ;)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:41 pm

Every psychologist would know what associate fellowship of the BPS means, and lots of us like it. It makes you eligible for better paid insurance work, allows the public to find you if you join the directory, and shows your professional credibility to the courts when they seek an expert. Most importantly the BPS contains the DCP who do load of policy work and public facing work to promote psychology, and the faculties within the DCP do brilliant CPD, useful publications and are the most helpful peer networks for the profession. It may be that in time the ACP comes to serve us better, but we benefit a lot as a profession from speaking with a unified voice, with links into government and a response to every relevant consultant. So, despite my specific criticisms and comments about ways they could be more helpful, I think you are doing them a disservice.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Gilly

Post by Gilly » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:28 pm

^^ its one of those things in which the more you get involved, the more you get out of it - if you get involved with the individual faculties, get involved with the CPD/events, get onto the mailing lists - theres a lot there - I use to work for the DCP and we used to hear a lot "you only get the magazine, you don't get anything for it" responses when talking to people about joining...my view is that the value is in the DCP.
You're not calling for help, are you?! ;)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln.