Is my permanent job guaranteed when a service is retendered?

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.
redheadgingerbread

Is my permanent job guaranteed when a service is retendered?

Post by redheadgingerbread » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:29 pm

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone know what happens when a Service is retendered please? The service I work for is going to be amalgamated with another similar from another trust in october but will be managed by a single trust. I’ve been advised my job is safe but if no one yet knows who is taking over then how can managers be so sure? Does anyone have any advice of what’s i should do? I’m on a permanent band 7 contract and have been employed for over 7 years. I’m thinking of buying a house but don’t wish to move forward with this if my job might be at risk.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
maven
Site Admin

Re: Is my permanent job guaranteed when a service is retende

Post by maven » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:02 pm

redheadgingerbread wrote:Hi,
I was wondering if anyone know what happens when a Service is retendered please? The service I work for is going to be amalgamated with another similar from another trust in october but will be managed by a single trust. I’ve been advised my job is safe but if no one yet knows who is taking over then how can managers be so sure? Does anyone have any advice of what’s i should do? I’m on a permanent band 7 contract and have been employed for over 7 years. I’m thinking of buying a house but don’t wish to move forward with this if my job might be at risk.
Because of the TUPE regulations, that protect you in this exact situation, and because protecting existing staff will be built into the competitive tender process.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

BlueCat
Site Admin

Re: Is my permanent job guaranteed when a service is retende

Post by BlueCat » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:00 pm

As maven points out, TUPE regulations mean your job is as protected as it is now. However, something I have personal experience of is that a permanent job is only as permanent as your notice period. Factors in your favour are that lower bandings tend to be left alone in service redesign, whereas higher bandings tend to need to worry more. More than likely you'll be fine. And if you're not, you're a highly employable individual and there is ALWAYS locum work.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.