HCPC/BPS and foreign doctorates

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.
huwtube

HCPC/BPS and foreign doctorates

Post by huwtube » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:59 pm

Sorry to add to the copious verbiage on this issue, but I have a question about coming to NHS jobs with a foreign qualification.

I have just finished a clinical psych PhD in New York and am now doing a 1 year clinical postdoc job here. I am applying for HCPC registration as I am moving back to the Uk with my family in September.

Browsing NHS jobs I see this alot:

"Suitable applicants will be HCPC registered, hold a degree in psychology accepted by BPS and hold a doctorate in clinical psychology accredited by BPS."

Assuming everything runs smoothly with the HCPC, do I need to worry about this stipulation about "a doctorate in clinical psychology accredited by BPS"?
Some people are different from the rest of us, and so are the rest of us.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
maven
Site Admin

Re: HCPC/BPS and foreign doctorates

Post by maven » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:25 pm

No, I don't think so. If you get HCPC equivalence then I don't think the BPS have any say in whether you can practice here or not.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

huwtube

Post by huwtube » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:09 pm

Thanks Maven, this is as I had thought, and I was surprised to see it as a stipulation in quite a few job postings. Does anyone know if psychology services tend to have this as a preference when recruiting?

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:13 pm

I wouldn't have thought so if you have a doctorate that combines research and practice. Presumably the wording is to ensure real equivalence and doctoral level training, rather than the rather overinclusive EU rules for equivalence with the HCPC?
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

huwtube

Post by huwtube » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:04 pm

Thanks both - this sounds reassuring. I'll let people know how it goes and folk should feel free you DM me if there are questions about this process!