maternity leave discrimination?

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.
nala

maternity leave discrimination?

Post by nala » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:34 pm

Hi,

Just looking for some advice as i'm not really sure if this is an issue. I qualified almost 3 years ago. I applied for a band 8a job. I've been offered it, but at band 7, the reason being that i have been on some maternity leave since qualifying, so my total experience falls short of 2 years in total (I have 19 months).The person spec. requires 2 years post qualification experience. That's the only reason for not paying me at band 8, I meet everything else. I know there are rights in regards to maternity leave but I was wondering whether this would fall under it. Because where would you draw the line- if I had been on sick leave for a few months, could they still do the same? The job is only a few months cover for someone else's maternity leave so by the time I have 2 years experience in their eyes, the job would have ended.

thanks in advance
Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you have decided to look beyond the imperfections.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
alexh

Re: maternity leave discrimination?

Post by alexh » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:19 pm

Are there other benefits to taking it? I suppose having acted up will stand you well when applying for substantive posts.

Is it competitive? if, as must be tempting, you decline, will they easily fill the post anyway?

Personally I think it's a petty scam and you should decline to do band 8 work and responsibility for band 7 money. If they think you can do it they should pay you the set rate and not try to weasel out. They are willing to flex this criterion, it's not your problem.

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:56 pm

I'd get union advice, or speak to ACAS, as this sounds like dodgy ground, especially as I've seen quite a few people gain 8a posts shy of 24 months experience - two I've worked with included who were able to secure 8a posts after 8 months and 12 months respectively.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

nala

Post by nala » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:41 pm

Thanks for the replies. I contacted ACAS who said that it was not clear cut but I might have a cause. However, they warned that the recruiters could argue that I did not have enough experience to fulfil the role. However, that would perhaps only stand if they refused me the job, rather than offering it me but at a lower band. But at the end of the day, the job just wasn't worth it, so I turned it down.
Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you have decided to look beyond the imperfections.

Tangram

Post by Tangram » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:35 pm

Seems a bit inconsistent on their part.... If someone doesn't have the required 2 years exp or meet the person spec for the role then why offer it in the first place? Why offer it then say but we're going to pay you less. Ok then, re-write the JD and give you band 7 responsibilities for the few months so at least the pay reflects this. Yeesh. Really annoying, sorry you had to exp that