The privatisation of mental health: how good services are turning in favour of the rich

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.
Spatch

The privatisation of mental health: how good services are turning in favour of the rich

Post by Spatch » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:09 pm

Really interesting article in The Conversation which raises several interesting points including precarious working conditions for therapists, access via wealth, the damage that IAPT may be doing and the lack of respect mental health practitioners recieve.

Check it out here: https://theconversation.com/the-privati ... rich-43276
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Expe ... 00EQFE5JW/

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
NotReally

Re: The privatisation of mental health: how good services are turning in favour of the rich

Post by NotReally » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:18 pm

As someone trying to make a career in this area, so much of this rings true. It seems that the way to battle back against privatisation is to go private! Others will be in a better position to judge, but it seems to me that in recent years, more and more qualified therapists have left the NHS and other national organisations to go it alone. Would this be accurate, or is it something that has always happened to the extent it seems to be going on now? Without going into too much detail, the only AP post i've had to date has been for a pretty big organisation, and AP support only came from an overworked and exhausted supervisor, or a line manager that may have ticked a number of boxes, but clearly had no idea about the challenges AP's would face.

I'd much rather work for a smaller organisation where i'm provided with the support necessary without having to worry about whether i'm going to send my supervisor over the edge anytime soon! Which will inevitably raise its own issues i.e. a reduction in pay, the need for smaller organisations to take on more people (proportionally) in internships etc, and so the vicious cycle continues.