Project Group Work Advice

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.
TiaJade

Project Group Work Advice

Post by TiaJade » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:39 pm

Hi Guys

I need advise with a difficult situation at work. I’m an Ap who took on facilitating Family Groups within children’s LD services within two months of my post starting in January 2018. I absolutely loved it but after a few months I wanted to develop them further based on more psychological approaches as they were quite basic. My clinical supervisor said he was fine with this and allowed me to put them together all by myself. He then reviewed them before I delivered them to families and was very impressed. There are three sessions and it took six weeks to put together.

My contract ends in January. The director originally said they could keep me until March then two weeks ago told me he was leaving and my contract would end in January. Fortunately I found another job in CAMHS which is permanent. The current team I’m in says I HAVE to give them the group work I deliver as they will be delivered by a nurse. Additionally my clinical supervisor and only psychologist on the team is leaving in two weeks too. My main question is do I have to give them the work I designed? No one worked on this but myself so I find very devalued, especially by the nurses at the moment who have said they can do a role similar to psychologists. Any advice from you would help and I’d be so grateful :)

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
maven
Site Admin

Re: Project Group Work Advice

Post by maven » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:19 pm

I'd say you do have to give it to them. You were paid by them to develop it for them, it isn't your intellectual property it is theirs. And they can't employ an AP without a supervising CP. So I'd turn it upside down and think that they value your content enough to want to keep it, and feel like you had a good opportunity, and now have something new to move on to, whilst the clients can retain the benefit of your work.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:50 pm

Yes. Anything you develop whilst being paid by them to do a job that includes developing something belongs to the people who were paying you at the time it was developed.

There was a high-profile IT case recently where a big company headhunted a guy with a promise of a massive salary, had him develop the product, then sacked him the minute it was done. Something to do with driverless car technology. Different field, same principles, sorry.

And I'm sorry to hear you're feeling so devalued, congratulations on the new job. Havw you asked I'd they would mind you taking the group content with you as well as leaving it with them?
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

TiaJade

Post by TiaJade » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:21 pm

My supervisor has said do a case study on it and that I can keep it though he feels I’ve been badly treated by the consultant nurse who refers to me as the “band 4”. But I think initially I was very hurt and angry at her and having reflected it would be very unfair to delete it all as it serves a purpose to that team and the team and service users haven’t done anything to wrong me. I can take the work and they can also have it. I think it’s the fact of giving so much time and energy to something to be told “you have to leave and nurses can deliver the material” that got me so angry. I’ve reflected and I take it as a compliment... I think haha

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:51 pm

It sounds as if there are unhelpful power dynamics there. I've come across quite a lot of devaluation of nurses before now (the idea that they just dole out medicines and do whatever the doctor tells them), and I wonder if the nurse consultant at your workplace is reacting defensively to that. It's still unpleasant for you, but it might help you to feel more peaceful about things if you see it as a likely reflection of what the nurse's experiences have been, and not a reflection on you and your work.

I would also consider it a success that they want to continue using the intervention you developed. We all want teams to be more psychologically minded, and part of that will mean developing interventions that other healthcare professionals are able to use. Good luck in your next job. I hope it's a friendlier environment for you and you feel more valued there.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.