Doldrums...ideas?

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.
huwtube

Doldrums...ideas?

Post by huwtube » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:00 pm

Hi all,

After moving back to the UK after my PhD, I am now HCPC registered as a clinical psych and have been offered an NHS job. Going through the HR onboarding process there one hurdle which is taking longer than I hoped - my trust wants a "letter of good standing", basically a foreign DBS check, from the FBI. In the best possible world that will be done by the end of the month. In the worst (delays in the post...FBI slowed down by the federal shutdown...a request for me to re-send them my fingerprints [not uncommon apparently]) it might drag for months. In the meantime I would like to actually do some work. It is hard for us to rely solely on my partner's income and I am also raring to go professionally.

Are there any routes for an HCPC registered clinical psychologist to acquire piece-work that could start to fill the time between now and my start date? In my last job in New York before moving back I undertook clinical assessments of people exposed to the 9-11 attacks, to determine whether they met criteria for PTSD. Would there be some way of providing that sort of skill set here in the UK as a professional stop-gap?

Sorry for the ongoing stream of "help-me!" posts as I go through this transition.
Some people are different from the rest of us, and so are the rest of us.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
lakeland

Re: Doldrums...ideas?

Post by lakeland » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:03 am

Hmm that's frustrating, particularly as you're already registered.

I do know that some companies do telephone assessments for legal cases, screening for mental health conditions for insurance companies, but I'm not sure how long it would take to get set up doing that. There's also court work, capacity assessments etc, but I wouldn't rely on those to pay within a reasonable time frame. Have you googled for companies in your local area? There might be some willing to take you on even for a short time.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:02 pm

Where are you geographically? There are various small projects at my place that might benefit from an HCPC registered CP with a DBS check, but not require the international letter...
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

huwtube

Post by huwtube » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:59 am

Thanks both! Sorry for a late reply - yesterday I was occupied with two sick kids :-(
Lakeland, thanks that's a good idea. Even if I were to start very soon I would be interested in pursuing that route as an extra.
Miriam, wow! I am in Cambridge, I don't know if that's a useful location?
I'm at huw[dot]green[at]gmail.com if you want to discuss more?
Some people are different from the rest of us, and so are the rest of us.